Mar 11, 2019
For the past few weks i have noticed games i used to get 130+ fps with no stuttering on high settings. Now getting 60 with dramastic stuttering spikes and i have changed nothing. I decided to check temperature and it said it was 165-185 °F. I opened my computer and cleaned the dust out and my fans are working.

My first question is can cpu overheating cause that much lag and stuttering?Second is one should i do to fix it i heard reapplying thermal paste help because pc is about 4 years old.

Specs
-------------
Gtx 1060 6gb
I5-4690k
8gb ram

Feb 14, 2019
I would definitely reapply the paste and see if that helps. If CPU temps are high, it causes a lot of resistance in the circuits so that could mean reduced performance. That is an extreme drop, but I feel like that could be the issue based on the temps.

fannyfarts

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Thermal throttling is effectively just dynamically cutting the power to a CPU, your CPU feeds your GPU ineffect, so if your CPU is behaving turbulently because of thermal throttling then your GPU will be scaling its usage and clock speeds too, my gtx 1070 has this issue in csgo as my laptop's CPU keeps it right in-between clock bands for the GPU, meaning every time I pause, get shot or peak wide locations I can drop one to two frames(reeeeeee).

Firstly I would recommend reseating your driver's and cleaning your fans (as you already have); if that doesn't work then I'd say try a reapplication of thermal paste as it can't really hurt at this point.

If the issue doesn't go away, try bumping the resolution up to let's say 4k using DSR or render scaling , If the stuttering stops then you've found that the cause is a CPU bottleneck, and potentially a typical Windows update could be hogging your CPU in the background / Microsoft and their utterly stunning code could be doing belly flops in task manager. So a very last remedial effort would be to reinstall windows and all associated drivers.

Welcome to windows an os pre-installed with spyware and code so faulty you'd actually be hard pushed to write a virus that could cause more damage

Oh and make sure all your ram is being detected/not accidentally running in single channel mode.

Reactions: AllanGH

TRENDING THREADS