[SOLVED] CPU temperature consistently high on idle, crashing constantly

Dec 10, 2021
Hello

My computer was running fine for years and then suddenly crashed today with a bluescreen when I tried to play my usual video game. After rebooting the computer and updating, it now constantly crashes whether I try to start a game, browser, program, etc. The CPU temperature is a consistent 70-80c on idle, and 80-99c performing simple/complex tasks. On Task Manager I see low CPU usage.

I've never had a problem like this before. Any ideas on what could be causing it? I can't even work or do anything with my computer freezing randomly.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you think I should try and replace the CPU fan?
i would.
the best fans i've used for heatsinks/radiators are the Noctua iPPC NF series.

for case fans, the be quiet! Silent Wings 3.
I'm guessing I'll have to look up a video on how to reapply thermal paste and buy a new fan.
only if you are also replacing the heatsink.
just replacing the fan shouldn't require you removing it.
you would just put the new fan right where the old one was.

if it is an older Cooler Master 212 you may want to replace it with something better though.
yeah if you're hitting anywhere near 90°C, no matter what you're doing, then you have some issues with cooling.

approaching 99° and the system will shutdown to prevent thermal damage.
getting close to that and the CPU will begin to throttle down speeds trying to keep from reaching those shutdown temps.

post your complete system specs
including case,
cooling(CPU, case fans, etc),
power supply make /model(+ time in use),
and where the system is located(cabinet, floor, under desk, desktop, etc)

Dec 10, 2021
yeah if you're hitting anywhere near 90°C, no matter what you're doing, then you have some issues with cooling.

approaching 99° and the system will shutdown to prevent thermal damage.
getting close to that and the CPU will begin to throttle down speeds trying to keep from reaching those shutdown temps.

post your complete system specs
including case,
cooling(CPU, case fans, etc),
power supply make /model(+ time in use),
and where the system is located(cabinet, floor, under desk, desktop, etc)
CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 4GHz
RAM: 16 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
MOBO: Gigabyte Z97-HD3P
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (EVGA)
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))
Power Supply: Corsair 650W Gold
Case: Corsair but not sure what model.
Fans: Some kind of cheap Cool Master fan for the CPU + 2 cheap fans for the case.

Computer was built a number of years ago. I can't remember when. At least 5-10 years I'd say.

I just shut the computer down and poked around inside to see what the power supply was, and I noticed that the main Cool Master fan was completely idle despite the computer being on. Then I gently poked the Cool Master fan and the blades started to spin, though quite slowly. Is this normal? Maybe the CPU is overheating because there's a problem with the main fan that cools it down?

Fans: Some kind of cheap Cool Master fan for the CPU + 2 cheap fans for the case.
this can be the cause of the heat issue(s).
without proper intake & exhaust on the case heat just recycles through the internal components getting warmer with each pass.
and without proper airflow on the CPU cooler it will also retain heat and continue to rise in temperature.
I gently poked the Cool Master fan and the blades started to spin, though quite slowly. Is this normal?
usually this is due to the startup RPM % being too low for the fan.
for the fan to initialize it needs to be at or over a certain % and sometimes it needs to be manually adjusted.

Dec 10, 2021
this can be the cause of the heat issue(s).
without proper intake & exhaust on the case heat just recycles through the internal components getting warmer with each pass.
and without proper airflow on the CPU cooler it will also retain heat and continue to rise in temperature.

usually this is due to the startup RPM % being too low for the fan.
for the fan to initialize it needs to be at or over a certain % and sometimes it needs to be manually adjusted.
Thanks for all your help!

I restarted the computer, cleaned it up, and tried loading up a video game to see when the fan might get triggered, but up to 80 degrees I saw nothing happen. The fan occasionally twitches a bit. I think it must be the weak CPU fan, because the other two exhaust fans have been working great for years and appear to be functioning fine.

Now all of a sudden the CPU fans are starting to click and move at a somewhat slow pace at 50 degrees.

Do you think I should try and replace the CPU fan? I'm guessing I'll have to look up a video on how to reapply thermal paste and buy a new fan.

Do you think I should try and replace the CPU fan?
i would.

I'm guessing I'll have to look up a video on how to reapply thermal paste and buy a new fan.

if it is an older Cooler Master 212 you may want to replace it with something better though.

Reactions: vosnescis
Solution
Dec 10, 2021
i would.

I found an older computer and took the fan from it, replaced the broken one, and it works much better. The computer isn't having any issues now. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll keep them in mind for when I make a new computer soon.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost