[SOLVED] CPU Temperature damage

Oct 12, 2020
So the geniuses who built my PC forgot to connect power to the AIO cooler. Turned on the PC and HWMonitor showed 90-100 degrees Celsius (100 on one core, the rest upper 90s). I immediately shut down the PC. (CPU is i9 10900k)

This lasted about one to two minutes - from the moment I switched on the PC to the moment I turned it off.

I know that CPUs shut down when overheating to prevent damage but I'm wondering if there is any concern for heat damage here in the long term. Thank you!

Solution
Oh yeah its fine

The others here already said it but it throttled itself to 100c for a reason and that was to prevent damage. That processor allows a max of 100c according to Intel's website, anything beyond that point will force the processor to throttle itself so the temperature doesn't go past 100c.

Now you don't WANT it at 100c, running it at that temperature long term will reduce its life span. But 2 minutes? It's fine, that's nothin'

For what its worth (and don't do this) when I was younger I ran a old athlon processor at near max temperature for like ~8 years straight when I didn't know better and I gamed on that thing like crazy. Still works to this day somehow haha

poorbugger

Distinguished
So the geniuses who built my PC forgot to connect power to the AIO cooler. Turned on the PC and HWMonitor showed 90-100 degrees Celsius (100 on one core, the rest upper 90s). I immediately shut down the PC. (CPU is i9 10900k)

This lasted about one to two minutes - from the moment I switched on the PC to the moment I turned it off.

I know that CPUs shut down when overheating to prevent damage but I'm wondering if there is any concern for heat damage here in the long term. Thank you!
If this happened once then it's unlikely your cpu got damaged. You'll need consistent high temperature to damage it.

I think you're alright. As others have stated, there's a reason for the throttle temperature being what it is. You're CPU throttled and did not allow it to get to the point where it was damaged.

Furzumz

Reputable
Oh yeah its fine

The others here already said it but it throttled itself to 100c for a reason and that was to prevent damage. That processor allows a max of 100c according to Intel's website, anything beyond that point will force the processor to throttle itself so the temperature doesn't go past 100c.

Now you don't WANT it at 100c, running it at that temperature long term will reduce its life span. But 2 minutes? It's fine, that's nothin'

For what its worth (and don't do this) when I was younger I ran a old athlon processor at near max temperature for like ~8 years straight when I didn't know better and I gamed on that thing like crazy. Still works to this day somehow haha

Solution