[SOLVED] CPU temperature different after new motherboard.

legendarydarkmafia

Commendable
Sep 9, 2017
So I have a AMD FX4300 with a Gigabyte GA78LMT R2 mobo, recently my rig short circuited and fried the mobo. My PSU had failed. I replaced the motherboard with a new one (same model) and I realise, it can't overclock and my cpu temps are very dif. On my old mobo I get around 16 degrees Celsius on idle (which I know is very wrong) though I can oc up to 4.6 GHz. The new mobo on the other hand, shows 40 degrees Celsius idle temps (which I guess is correct) but can't overclock beyond 4.2 GHz. Anything above that is a BSOD. All settings are same, voltage etc. I am wondering if my CPU itself is faulty after the short circuit? I mean like the temps changed drastically, and I believe the temp sensor is located in the CPU so I'm not sure which went wrong, just wanted to know so other parts don't break along the way.

Solution
If you were overclocking using a mobo that lied to you about the CPU temperature, maybe it also misinformed you about what voltage you were using on that CPU. That might have let you do a higher voltage than was safe, and achieve a big overclock, without telling you that the CPU temps were WAYYYY too high already. If your CPU is working fine now, it is not very likley that it was damaged, but you might be lucky that you know the truth with the new mobo.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you were overclocking using a mobo that lied to you about the CPU temperature, maybe it also misinformed you about what voltage you were using on that CPU. That might have let you do a higher voltage than was safe, and achieve a big overclock, without telling you that the CPU temps were WAYYYY too high already. If your CPU is working fine now, it is not very likley that it was damaged, but you might be lucky that you know the truth with the new mobo.

Solution