Question CPU Temperature effected by faulty PSU?

Feb 22, 2019
Hi, I have an issue with my mini itx build I recently put together. Here are the specs:

CPU: i5-3570k @stock
Motherboard: P8H61-I LX R2.0
Heatsink: Cryorig C7
Ram: 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
GPU: Asus strix GTX960
PSU: Corsair CX430
Case: Silverstone SG13

So the issue seems to be once my GPU is installed it is effecting the temperature of my CPU ans also the behaviour of the CPU fan, for example:

If I run Cinebench without the GPU installed running through the onboard graphics I hit a maximum of 63C on my CPU and the system seems completely stable and not too loud. I also tested CSGO and the temps were in the 50's and also the pc was running pretty quiet (obviously not very playable as using integrated graphics but it was just to test cpu).

Now when I install the GPU and run Cinebench (which i dont think even utilises gpu) I am hitting CPU temps of 75-80C. Just to be clear I was testing this with all side and front panels off so I highly doubt this is an airflow issue. I also tried CSGO and temps were in the 70's although gaming performance seemed correct.

Another thing to note is once the GPU was installed my cpu fan was running much much faster and also constantly changing it's RPM in an awkward way which I've never experienced on another pc.

So my conclusion is that there might be a fault with the power supply, i remember it's quite old and it's obviously not very powerful.

I have already ordered a Corsair SF600 PSU because I will be changing my case to the dan case once it's available (already pre-ordered)

If it's not the PSU can a faulty GPU cause problems like this? Although I would say the GPU is running fine and performing in games fine.

If anyone could explain to me what my issue is I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Reactions: ahmadberry

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
I have been use 3570+ gibate 960 with a psu (400 W) in a standard case.
What you described. I think the reason is that the heat of the ITX is not released in time. Adding independent graphics cards can also create a lot of heat.
I seldom heard that the temperature of the CPU is related to the power supply. The temperature of the CPU is actually related to the voltage.
So my opinion is that maybe there is something wrong with the power supply of your motherboard.

Feb 22, 2019
I have been use 3570+ gibate 960 with a psu (400 W) in a standard case.
What you described. I think the reason is that the heat of the ITX is not released in time. Adding independent graphics cards can also create a lot of heat.
I seldom heard that the temperature of the CPU is related to the power supply. The temperature of the CPU is actually related to the voltage.
So my opinion is that maybe there is something wrong with the power supply of your motherboard.

All I can say is once the GPU is installed the CPU fan is spinning so much faster and CPU is 10-15 degrees warmer. I don't see how installing the GPU has made it rise by so much, like i said earlier I've left all the sides off so it's getting lots of cold air. The reason i think it's the PSU is because when the GPU is installed im introducing a lot more power usage and maybe the motherboard is not receiving the steady flow of power it needs and causing the cpu/heatsink to perform in a strange way. I know its an old power supply and as far as i know the CX series are made with cheap components.