CPU temperature extremely high

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I've never had such a problem before, I've only noticed this high temperature while I'm currently installing a game; basically it says the CPU is at 108% of usage while i'm installing this game and I thought since the cpu is being used at its full capacity then I must take a look at its temperature, surprisingly the temperature is at 90C and constant while I'm in the installation process, is that even normal? I've monitored the CPU temperature before while gaming but I've never seen such temperature till now

my specs:
VIAWZw8.jpg

Solution
Those temps really aren't good at all. From before, setting the max processing state to 60%, the CPU won't be able to get to those temps since it's not at it's 'full' power potential. I would suggest checking tat your heatsink is properly seated on your CPU. Your CPU fan is fine since it's still actually rotating. After inspecting the heatsink carefully to make sure that it's mounted, try testing it for a short period, you don't want to damage your CPU (e.g., stop if you see it getting to 90 degrees C). If that's the case, best bet would be to get a new CPU heatsink, since that one surely isn't working.

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Speccy has been known to show abnormally high temperatures, try checking your CPU temperature using a program such as Speedfan or HWMonitor and see what if it reports. If it is still high, best to check your CPU fan + heatsink, and try applying some new thermal paste.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

I've tried something that sort of worked but leaves me wondering.... I've went to power options and advanced settings and set the maximum processor state to 60%, when I've done that the temperature went down to 55C and that temperature is confirmed by HWMonitor too (the 55C one), is the processor supposed to even reach such temperature on full load? 90C on full load is normal? or it still shouldn't be at such temperature?

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

CPUs can reach such heat under very heavy loads, but it usually the result of a very poor/not properly installed cooling solution, as getting to 91 degrees C (if the reading is correct), under load is very excessive. However, even with a stock cooler, you shouldn't be hitting 90+ degrees C, that is unsafe territory, and usually 70 - low 80 degrees C is the limit for normal operation, and is what's expected under load. I would double check the temperature at load with HWMonitor. If it 90+, it would be best to check your cooling solution, see if your heatsink is mounted properly, and your fan is working.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

just so I know, how long should it take me to add another thermal paste from the last one added? and this only reached such temperature as the CPU was being 100% used (which I've never seen my CPU being used 100% before) but should I play heavy games and keep monitoring my CPU temp?

PS: I bought this CPU just a year or a year and a half and haven't added any thermal paste since i bought it (thermal paste was added when I first bought it)

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

The thing is, even running a stress test of a CPU with a stock cooler and thermal paste shouldn't yield 90+ degrees C. If the heatsink is installed properly, my guess would be that it must be very bad ariflow, non-working fan on the cooler, or possibly both. If you have some thermal paste at hand you can try reapplying it.

For a test run Prime95, it will stress test your CPU to 100%, and monitor the temps on HWMonitor, see what temperatures you yield, it shouldn't go into the 90s.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

Ok so.... I've test run Prime95 (blend test of everything) and shockingly I'm seeing 99C in some of the processor Heats and 96 in Speccy

if the problem is from the Processor's Fan, can you tell from this pic? shows the CPU Fan's RPM

UY7XsF1.jpg

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Those temps really aren't good at all. From before, setting the max processing state to 60%, the CPU won't be able to get to those temps since it's not at it's 'full' power potential. I would suggest checking tat your heatsink is properly seated on your CPU. Your CPU fan is fine since it's still actually rotating. After inspecting the heatsink carefully to make sure that it's mounted, try testing it for a short period, you don't want to damage your CPU (e.g., stop if you see it getting to 90 degrees C). If that's the case, best bet would be to get a new CPU heatsink, since that one surely isn't working.

Solution

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Sorry for the late reply. The heatsink is wat is attached to the CPU to move heat away from it, and the fan allows cool air o blow onto the CPU to keep it cool also. You'll find both on any commercial CPU.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

alright thank you so so much for your help, I'll make sure to send my case to an IT and see if theres's a problem with my heat sink, CPU Fan or lack of thermalpaste.

Danoded

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

You're very welcome. Since all your other temps are in normal range while your CPU is reaching excessive temps, it has to be an issue with how the CPU is being cooled.