Question Cpu temperature hitting 98c idle

cdreesejr33

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
My computer started lagging and audio issues and I was trying to figure out why and it took me a while to realize that it was cpu temperature so I reapplied the thermal paste to see if that would fix and it didn’t I’m running a gigabyte gaming g6 cpu i7 6700k nzxt kraken x62 kraken gtx 1080 asus strix and I’m not sure if something going to need to be replaced all my fans are spinning and everything

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That AIO is usually good for 5-6 years, same as any of the better quality AIO's. After that, it's pot-luck as to when it's had enough. At that age, it's generally not pump failure but coolant breakdown that's the issue. The coolant starts breaking down into its chemical components, some of which are small enough on a molecular level to seep through the tubing. Once enough has evaporated, there's not enough coolant inside the rad/pump to be effective.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I ran my kraken x61 on an i7-3770K OC'd to 4.9GHz for just over 6 years, 24/7 with the only down time being power outages or cleaning.

Then the fans failed....

I replaced it with a Cryorig R1 Ultimate, and to keep the same temps as the x61, had to drop the OC to 4.6GHz. The benefit to that was the R1 was now the same volume as well as the same temps. Just not the same performance.

Aircooling generally is not better than liquid cooling, and other than a select few like Noctua and beQuiet, it's usually louder. It's only real benefits are longetivity and initial cost. Realistic cost difference is negligible. It's one less trip to Starbucks every week for a couple of months, or skipping the next few Big Mac meals.

cdreesejr33

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
AIO coolers do not last forever.
In time, air will intrude, pumps will clog or fail.
Time to replace.

What is the make/model of your case?
Do you have plans for any sort of cpu upgrade?
Nzxt s340 elite I wasn’t planning on upgrading my cpu soon was probably gonna upgrade my storage and monitor first then my power supply and graphics card and even if my fans still spin on the aio it still means it stop working