CPU temperature i7-7700HQ

Garrilha

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Hi there.

I bought this laptop the last week (lenovo legion y520), and today was the first time i could dig in properly. I noticed that the idle temperature for the CPU is 42-53ºC. Is this normal temperature for the CPU? I dont really know if it is and because i read so many mix answer all over the internet i decided to come to the right place to get this answered.

The battery is in the option for 'best performance' and the CPU seems to be locked (because of this option) on 3Ghz. If i put the battery option for 'best battery life' the temperature goes to 40-50ºC.

The GPU temperature is always the same 40ºC.
TL;DR
-Idle temp, normal to be arround 40-50ºC?
-While gaming is it normal to get to ~85ºC-90ºC ?

Thank you very much for your time !

Laptop Specs:
CPU: i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz-3.3Ghz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GeForce 1060 Max-Q (6GB)

Solution
Laptop CPU temps are always higher, but as long as it stays 90 and under you should be fine. The idle temp is normal.

There are ways to decrease the temp, but they involve voiding the warranty of the laptop by either using higher quality thermal paste or using liquid metal for better thermal transfer to the heat sink.

Garrilha

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

The problem is that it offen goes stays in 90-93ºc which scares me a lot.....and the last pc that i had was nothing like this (the specs was very poor), so i never had this problem.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Your answer is yes, that is normal. Laptops have extremely limited cooling capacities with little space for heat pipes and the trade off for the size and weight is the temperature of components. Try and keep the CPU below 90 degrees C or so and you should not encounter any big issues. Anything much higher than that then the laptop will switch off if it cannot down clock the CPU enough to keep temperatures low enough.

Solution