Dec 3, 2018
Hi All,

My Pc Parts:

Intel Core i7 7700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4.2 GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory Black
Cooler Master Seidon 240P 240mm LED AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11GB Video Card

I've owned most of these parts for just over 3 years now and ran both the GPU and CPU overclocked. When doing my regular clean for dust and other materials decided to check on the thermal paste. I decided due to its age and after recently noticing CPU temps of 80 degrees I decided to reapply the paste. After doing so and turning the pc back on I've noticed idle temps being highly erratic and jumping from 40's up to '80s and never consistently staying where it should. Usually, it would remain in the low 30's due to its water cooling and 4 fans. We let the pc run for a bit thinking the paste needed some time, noticed no change and decided to try a different paste but still had the same error. I am wondering if the issue lies in potentially a fault within the CPU temp regulator, the application of the paste or just that my CPU has potentially gotten old and may need to be changed.

The programs I used to check these temps are MSI Command Centre and CPUID HW Monitor

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Make sure to tighten the cooler on to the cpu evenly in an X pattern and dont lift your cooler during the process so no air bubbles can occur
Remove the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol from the bottom of the cooler aswell.
Make sure to tighten the cooler on to the cpu evenly in an X pattern and dont lift your cooler during the process so no air bubbles can occur
Remove the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol from the bottom of the cooler aswell.

Solution