CPU Temperature is high on i7 8700

Sep 19, 2018
Hi,

My cpu temperature is high from computer starting. At the beginning temp is 55c & while i am running normal task, it stays from 61c-70c. I have run Intel Extreme Tune 5min stress test. @ 100% load, cpu core temp goes upto 85c. I usually run 3d animation & vfx software. Now I am concern with my new setup temperature. Due to high temp, I haven't start heavy work in my new setup yet.

I have been running my pc in non-air conditioned environment.

Current weather: 29c - 34c
Precipitation: 92%
Humidity: 81%

Looking for suggestion/solution.

My PC config:

Casing Fan: Corsair 4x 120mm (12v)- 2400RPM-Max
Cpu Air Cooler: Cryorig C7

System Model Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

CPU Vcore: 1.12v - 1.14v

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 11/9/2017
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
M.2 PNY CS2030 240GB SSD

Casing: Corsair Carbide Series™ 100R Mid-Tower Case

I have attached the picture of my present condition of desktop

http://

http://

Solution
extremely benchmark usually cause CPU to generates an enormous amount of heat.
the fact that your cooler is able to cool it @ 85C, is really good. and your normal temp is less than 70, i wouldn't worry over it.

as for improvements. could you tell us how big is your case?
if you can fit a 240 or bigger AIO, that will definitely help, make sure that you have good airflow over the cpu area, as your mobo vrm will get pretty hot during high load.

other wise,
if you are constantly under high load for your cpu, you could use a table fan directly at the side of the case, with the cover open.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is within specs. The C7 isn't exactly a huge cooler. Mid-70s during normal operation is fine for a single core or two.

Have you run your 3d animation software to test temperatures there?

Only real solution I see is a larger CPU cooler, but anything below 85C is pretty good for absolute full load with a small cooler like the C7.

extremely benchmark usually cause CPU to generates an enormous amount of heat.
the fact that your cooler is able to cool it @ 85C, is really good. and your normal temp is less than 70, i wouldn't worry over it.

as for improvements. could you tell us how big is your case?
if you can fit a 240 or bigger AIO, that will definitely help, make sure that you have good airflow over the cpu area, as your mobo vrm will get pretty hot during high load.

other wise,
if you are constantly under high load for your cpu, you could use a table fan directly at the side of the case, with the cover open.

Solution
Sep 19, 2018
@zyh1987 : I have installed 2x 120 on the top of the case. Won't it enough for 240 AIO? If not then what if I install Corsair H80i?

Corsair Carbide Series™ 100R Mid-Tower Case

@SgtScream : I had the opportunity to run the setup under Air Conditioned environment for 5 min. In 85% workload of rendering temp was 45c-50c. PC started @ temp 35c. (It's pretty difficult for me to have the aircon at the moment). I will definitely try to do it in future.

h80i should give you a decent temp, from the temp, i don't think the 240 rads fits in top position.

i'm wondering if you can remove the hdd cage and have it installed there, and use a 5.25 to 3.5/2.5 adapter to mount your hdd/ssd in you r5.25 bay.