CPU temperature is normal but core temp is high?

Adrienn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I have an intel i7 4790k CPU, it's temp in game is around 45-50 C but the cores temperatures are 85-86 in game. Is this normal? I use the stock cooler since I don't want to OC.

Adrienn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

Yes, here it is
http://postimg.org/image/j139vsdbl/

How are you measuring these 2 different temps.? Especially the "Core Temp"?

Can you post a screenshot of those temps? That doesn't sound quite right. The CPU temp (tcase) should be lower than the core temps.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temp..

"Tcase" is measured in a laboratory by Intel. They machine a groove in the top of the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) and attach a thermocouple to the groove. The attached TC provides the Tcase data to the engineers under various operating conditions. It is not something that can be read by users with typical monitoring software.

Yogi

Adrienn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

So the temps that you can see on the pic are normal?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That is showing the CPU temp and the Core temp the same. At least for one core (82C). While a bit odd, it looks somewhat normal in that screenshot. A bit too hot for continual use actually.

That "CPU Temp" looks bogus. Just worry about the "Core Temps".

80*C. is the typically recommended Max under normal operation. 82*C. is just barely over the line. What CPU cooler do you have?

Yogi

Adrienn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

I use the stock cooler since i've read if I don't want to OC that's enough. That's what the warranty for right? And it's not a weak CPU... So i don't understand

I just noticed that you said that you have the stock cooler in the OP.

That "should" do the job in a non-OC'ed system. Check to be sure that all 4 mounting pins are securely fastened to the mobo. It is easy to push one in and think that it is all the way through when it is not, and the barbs at the end of the pin have not properly latched to the mobo. The best way to check is to remove the case side panel under the mobo and have a look. If you cannot see them that way, you'll have to remove the mobo from the case to see the underside.

You could also get an Aftermarket Cooler (Link) .

Yogi

Adrienn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015

I checked it, it is mounted properly

Adrienn

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I was trying to play Dragon Age Inquisition. Every other game runs like dream. I read that many people had cpu issues with this game and someone offered a solution : bios update and it solved the temp problem for them. I am going to try that.