[SOLVED] CPU Temperature is stuck without fluctuating

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
I have an AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core processor that has a base speed of 4.00 GHz and recently i've noticed that the clock speed won't go past 2 ghz.

After checking the temperature of my CPU, I noticed that it is constantly reading as 80 degrees exactly, without changing at all. I even stress tested the CPU and found no change at all. For some background, i've had this CPU for almost 4 years now and i've been able to read temperatures normally before.

Also I've already tried Core Temp HRMonitor and AMD Overdrive to check temperatures and they all read as 80 degrees.

Solution
Seems like you didn't read the question. What would be the point of replacing CPU cooler or re-applying thermal paster if I won't even be able to check temperature the CPU is afterwards?
That still seems a reasonable answer. If the cooler isn't firmly attached, with an intact TIM layer, then the CPU will heat up to some maximum value (80C in your case, well above the max temp AMD reccomends) and start throttling itself (to 2Ghz in your case) with temp effectively locked there.

Another solution offered is the motherboard sensor is broken.

Something else to consider is you're looking at the wrong sensor readout in whatever monitoring program you're using. Possibly you've updated monitoring program and/or BIOS which has...

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Thermal Throttling making the CPU overheat and speed cannot go higher than 2GHz.

Could be an issue with the CPU cooler or you have to clean and re-apply thermal paste.
Seems like you didn't read the question. What would be the point of replacing CPU cooler or re-applying thermal paster if I won't even be able to check temperature the CPU is afterwards?

That still seems a reasonable answer. If the cooler isn't firmly attached, with an intact TIM layer, then the CPU will heat up to some maximum value (80C in your case, well above the max temp AMD reccomends) and start throttling itself (to 2Ghz in your case) with temp effectively locked there.

Another solution offered is the motherboard sensor is broken.

Something else to consider is you're looking at the wrong sensor readout in whatever monitoring program you're using. Possibly you've updated monitoring program and/or BIOS which has 'broken' the sensor readout you're used to.

And another, equally rare and strange perhaps, is you've picked up a trojan that's got your system running a hidden process. It's maxed out the CPU, pegged it at a high temp such that it throttles.

EDIT: something to do if you haven't yet: do a CMOS reset. complete reset, with the jumper on. See if it changes anything.

Last edited:
Solution