maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi. I have a Pentium D 920 Presler core, and with the stock cooler, i had 53c idle, and 61-63c full load. I bought a aftermarket cooler, (Buffalo HPFA-10025) (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119090) and used the thermal compound which came with it, and now i'm getting 50c idle, and 60c full load. Any help ?

randomkid

Distinguished
What is your case? Please also populate your member configuration ( in your profile) so that your rig can be seen by others and comment more specifically for your set-up. For example, if you do not have a good airflow on your case, the cooler will not do its job...

Lutfij

Titan
what is your motherboard and rams? i own a rig with pentium D 915 on it and your temps are far higher than mine.

also include to mention your POC casing - also, welcome to the forums!

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
My case is a HP Media Center m7530n but my cooler fan aim right on the exhaust fan. it's like 20 cm far. My RAM are samsung DDR2 ram, 2 sticks of 1GB.

And Lutfij, i'm not new to the forums, i've registered before you. I've joined at like.. 2005.

randomkid

Distinguished
Hi Maypep_necro,

If your buffalo fan is set to Push, then it may explain why your temperature does not improve.
Currently your exhaust fan and the buffalo cooler fan are like in a tug of war for cool air instead of working together.
You should change the orientation of your cooler such that the buffalo fan should be on the other side so that the hot air it is pushing out of the heatsink will be pushed out of the chassis by the exhaust fan on the left.
That is how I see it in the picture at least... hope this helps.

Lutfij

Titan
yeah have the red buffalo fan facing the rams and then u'l see the air the CPU cooler blows is toward the back of the case,i.e- just rotate the cooler 180 degrees and u'll c temps drop a few. Another option would be to have the CPU fan blowing towards the top into the PSU and might i suggest cleaning up all the fans in ur case...dirt can decrease fan efficiency and raise temps. Cable management and clutter free wiring will also help improve air flow in ur case.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Alright, i'll try it and ill give you news.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Just did it, now i get 44 celcius idle and with small loads, i get 50c easily, and when it works full load, it hits 55celcius, helped a lil bit. but still too hot, dont you think ?

randomkid

Distinguished
8*C lower thank stock cooler should be good enough for the Buffalo. 55*C at full load is not bad. Is this at the maximum rpm already? If you want it cooler, you can set Smart fan to Manual and set lower target temperature... The CPU will be cooler but it the fan, spinning at top speed will be noisier...

Lutfij

Titan
With a cooler like the Buffalo, i wouldn't expect much from it..but getting a temp drop of 44 on idle compared to the 50 (with what u had previously is a HUGE difference). You just made ur processor live a few more years... Getting temps lower than that would mean investing in a more expensive cooler - the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a popular and GOOD cooler, i was recommended that a few days ago.

but thas good temps as far as i'm concerned. to lower ur temps a bit more i'd need a lil more details on ur casing :) since i cant find the specs page even after googlin it - but i guess its mATX form factor - correct?

i came across this but is this anywhere close to yours...in size at least :)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1939274,00.asp

oh and please mention your ambient/room temp

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Almost, mine is a m7530n. I'm glad to hear that those temps are fine, but i'm looking to overclock. do you think i'll ever can with bufallo cooler?

Lutfij

Titan
a mild overclock maybe possible, but your PCU is running hot anyway...see if you can invest in another aftermarket cooler. Like the Cooler master Hyper 212+ its great with temps and it costs around $30. Get that and you'll have overclocking headroom.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Mild overclocking... what do you mean ? like +200 mhz ? And what are good program to overclock ? My BIOS is locked. I've tried Clockgen, but it overclocks FSB also.... I just need core. I've tried to overclock my FSB and my computer hangs then i i put from 2800 mhz to 2830 mhz. (and 1% fsb)

Lutfij

Titan
A mild overclock is anywhere from reaching a 10~40% increase in stock CPU clocks, extreme overclocking is reaching 50~70% of the stated clock speed or more :pt1cable:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

you can also google on guides for overclocking a Pentium D.

Use SetFSB - that is agood software for those who'd want to overclock but cant because of the stock features of a proprietary board

but before you do ANYTHING - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-software,2059.html?xtmc=overclocking_software&xtcr=1

and you can check this out - http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

all of them are a good read before you overclock, remember you can damage your hardware if your not careful, furthermore your mobo doesn't have a ClearCMOS button - so if you cant POST remember to pull the battery out and wait a while until u reboot.

Ofcourse you can buy a cheap LGA 775 overclocking mobo, now that the i3's are starting to show up.
If your interested, look into Asus Maximus II Gene :sweat: