cpu temperature monitor

Only after downloading Motherboard Monitor did I discover that
Dimension 3000 is not supported. Can anybody recommend a freeware that
will work? Thanks.

No.

The Dimension 3000 does not have the necessary hardware to support it. I
don't believe any Dimension does.

Tom
"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> Only after downloading Motherboard Monitor did I discover that
> Dimension 3000 is not supported. Can anybody recommend a freeware that
> will work? Thanks.

NONE,
No hardware on a Dimension to monitor the CPU temperature. For that
matter I don't know of many Dell machines (maybe the XPS) that do have
the correct hardware.

--
Steve Williams

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> Only after downloading Motherboard Monitor did I discover that
> Dimension 3000 is not supported. Can anybody recommend a freeware that
> will work? Thanks.

I thought the Dimension's had Intel mobo's, most all of which can run
the Intel Active Monitor
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

> No.
>
> The Dimension 3000 does not have the necessary hardware to support
> it. I don't believe any Dimension does.
>
> Tom
> "Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>> Only after downloading Motherboard Monitor did I discover that
>> Dimension 3000 is not supported. Can anybody recommend a freeware
>> that
>> will work? Thanks.

Intel MAKES the board DELL tells them what to put on it. That is why the
boards have different connectors and pin outs than retail Intel boards.
Dell specs it the way they want. The hardware monitor is something they
don't put on.

Just like Dell sells YOU the computer but YOU tell them what you want in
it.

--
Steve Williams

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:00:43 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>No.
>
>The Dimension 3000 does not have the necessary hardware to support it. I
>don't believe any Dimension does.
>
>Tom

Thanks, but that's surprising - since I can monitor the hard rive
temperature.

>"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>> Only after downloading Motherboard Monitor did I discover that
>> Dimension 3000 is not supported. Can anybody recommend a freeware that
>> will work? Thanks.

Dell uses OEM hard drives that are the same that you buy retail. They
have the hardware to monitor temperature. The motherboard is spec'd to
Dells requirement. They tell Intel to leave the temperature monitor off
the board.

--
Steve Williams

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message news:fj3v115fj6v9nd6u51ppskmh9nnpg1aqij@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:00:43 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:

>>The Dimension 3000 does not have the necessary hardware to support it. I
>>don't believe any Dimension does.

> Thanks, but that's surprising - since I can monitor the hard rive
> temperature.

Disappointing at least. May I ask what hard drive temp(s) you've
been seeing and how many hard drives you have in there?

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:58:32 -0500, "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Disappointing at least. May I ask what hard drive temp(s) you've
>been seeing and how many hard drives you have in there?

It's usually at 35C under normal use, and for comparison it's 24C in
standby. The drive is 7200rpm. There's only the one drive in there.

Running an AV scan showed it rise as expected, but I didn't record it,
sorry. IIRC it was in the mid 90s F after a few minutes. (I had
switched it to Fahrenheit during that test.)

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Nate wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:58:32 -0500, "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Disappointing at least. May I ask what hard drive temp(s) you've
>>been seeing and how many hard drives you have in there?
>
> It's usually at 35C under normal use, and for comparison it's 24C in
> standby. The drive is 7200rpm. There's only the one drive in there.

According to HDTune my HDDs are 42 C & 44 C (sys = Dim 4550). Anything
that should concern me?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:29:48 GMT, Nate <none@none.none> wrote:

>Running an AV scan showed it rise as expected, but I didn't record it,
>sorry. IIRC it was in the mid 90s F after a few minutes. (I had
>switched it to Fahrenheit during that test.)

well, I just ran the AV for about 5 minutes, no zips being tested to
make it work harder, and the temp is around 100F

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message news:lkvv11d5710omeqn1mdvab3eq3ckil5gmh@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:29:48 GMT, Nate <none@none.none> wrote:
>
>>Running an AV scan showed it rise as expected, but I didn't record it,
>>sorry. IIRC it was in the mid 90s F after a few minutes. (I had
>>switched it to Fahrenheit during that test.)
>
> well, I just ran the AV for about 5 minutes, no zips being tested to
> make it work harder, and the temp is around 100F

Thanks for the info. If I could trouble you for one more thing, what
type of drive is it?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:23:03 -0500, "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Thanks for the info. If I could trouble you for one more thing, what
>type of drive is it?

if I could have copy/pasted it, I would have included it before :)

But from the balloon, I see WDC WD400BB. I guess that's Western.

HTH

I also see that HDDTemperature's default is to warn on 55C and
hibernate on 131C.

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message news:qj01211eg944nlsuflb0aui1r1es8gpb27@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:23:03 -0500, "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the info. If I could trouble you for one more thing, what
>>type of drive is it?
>
> if I could have copy/pasted it, I would have included it before :)
>
> But from the balloon, I see WDC WD400BB. I guess that's Western.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Yeah, looks like that is a WD,
Caviar EIDE w/2MB:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=8

Intel no longer makes mainboards.

The 2400, 3000, 4600 and 4700 systems are made for Dell by Mitac in China.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Intel no longer makes mainboards.
>
> The 2400, 3000, 4600 and 4700 systems are made for Dell by Mitac in China.

Have they (Intel) stopped making retail boards?

In addition to Mitac, I think Foxconn is also making some of those systems,
but where who knows - probably asia as well.

Intel still sells boards - they're just made by large contractors (Hon
Hai/Foxconn, ASUS, etc.).

Foxconn is indeed one of Dell's largest suppliers - they make most of
the boards for the Dell-assembled systems (8400, OptiPlex towers, etc.).
They also make most of Dell's cases as well (Foxconn is Hon Hai of
Taiwan/China, owns Flextronics, which bought out Palo Alto Products,
which had been Dell's case supplier for years).

In the IT world, almost everything is made by someone other than who
sells it - and Hon Hai is one of the largest ghost manufacturers.

Dell just signed a far-reaching contract with Mitac, which makes the
budget systems for Dell - and which also makes many of Dell's server
systems as well.