CPU temperature question

Johnny87

Prominent
May 19, 2017
Hi,

2-3 days ago I noticed that I was started to get unwanted lag spikes while gaming. I thought it was short temporary and didn't bother to look into it.

Now, a few days later it still haven't vanished, so I opened hardware monitor in to see if the spikes was caused by overheated temperature.

My knowledge here is very limited and I googled around and came across this forum. I saw some similar threads answered in the past, but I'm sure if their answers can be applied on me as well, hence the creation of this thread.

If someone could take a look at below picture and let me know what's wrong.
http://imgur.com/a/4ANW3

The temperature seems really high for a few of the cores, can they suddenly stop working properly?
Could the temperature be the root cause of my lag spikes while playing?
They are really high even if I'm not doing anything particular.

I've very thankful for any kind of response on this.

Many thanks in advance

Johnny

Solution

in that case, its maybe not the motherboard throttling the cpu and it could be the gpu?? the side panel method also helps gpus get cooler so it would be nice if you could use the same testing methodology. it can also be a very tiny...

Dan28453

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
your cpu is below the limit by like 20c, so thats fine. your motherboard on the other hand..well thats very very hot and is the reason of the thermal throttle. i would recommend getting some more case fans (maybe even a new case as well) to reduce those motherboard temperatures. for temporary you can remove the side panel and turn off turbo so it doesnt use a ridiculous amount of voltage which is what auto overclocking motherboards/turbo boosting does.

Dan28453

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

dude the screenshot clearly states that he has an i5 4690k with an asus z97-a motherboard..in no part of the screenshot says 6 cores....

I have GOT to get my glasses checked. Completely missed that.:(:heink:

Johnny87

Prominent
May 19, 2017
Hi again and thanks for the replies.

So I opened both sides of the computer as well as hoovered it a bit, was a bit dusty but not that bad.

http://imgur.com/a/SGhIz

Above is the new screen shot after opening both sides. I haven't tested it to see if any performance might have improved yet.
Can this motherboard temperature suddenly change? I've had the computer like 2-3 years now and this just started to occur.

Let me know if there's other information I can provide to help.

again, thank you!

Dan28453

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

in that case, its maybe not the motherboard throttling the cpu and it could be the gpu?? the side panel method also helps gpus get cooler so it would be nice if you could use the same testing methodology. it can also be a very tiny thing like running out of ram.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS