Question cpu temperature reaches 100 degrees within minutes after case change

Jan 7, 2021
Hello

i'm just starting with my setup.

cpu: intel i7 8700k
Motherboard: asus rog strix z370-f gaming
graphics card: asus rog strix 1070 ti
cpu cooler: corsair H110i gtx

I just bought a new case and yesterday I wanted to change all the components in the new case, I took pictures of the current setup so I was sure I put all the components back correctly.
my problem is that after the switch the cpu reaches 90-100 degrees within a few minutes after startup.
could see via corsair link that the pump for my cpu cooler runs 0 rpm also tried to check if it was running by feeling the tubes and the pump , the fans on the radiator run as they should.

What could be wrong? is the cooling pump dead or is there something else wrong?

it must be said that everything ran fine before I changed case and the only thing I have done is to take the graphics card, cpu cooler, motherboard and cpu cooler off, I let ram and cpu sit on the motherboard.

any ideas to what could be wrong or a way to test if the pump is actually dead?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome tot he forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the case you were on prior and the case you moved to later? Did you make sure your AIO's pump connector is plugged into a header on the motherboard? Also, what orientation was the pump/radiator in, in the old build? How is it in the new build? Include images of your setup before and after after you host your images on Imgur, then parse the link here.

Hello

i'm just starting with my setup.

cpu: intel i7 8700k
Motherboard: asus rog strix z370-f gaming
graphics card: asus rog strix 1070 ti
cpu cooler: corsair H110i gtx

I just bought a new case and yesterday I wanted to change all the components in the new case, I took pictures of the current setup so I was sure I put all the components back correctly.
my problem is that after the switch the cpu reaches 90-100 degrees within a few minutes after startup.
could see via corsair link that the pump for my cpu cooler runs 0 rpm also tried to check if it was running by feeling the tubes and the pump , the fans on the radiator run as they should.

What could be wrong? is the cooling pump dead or is there something else wrong?

it must be said that everything ran fine before I changed case and the only thing I have done is to take the graphics card, cpu cooler, motherboard and cpu cooler off, I let ram and cpu sit on the motherboard.

any ideas to what could be wrong or a way to test if the pump is actually dead?
Check mounting and connection of the cooler again, something is obviously wrong. Have you also change paste for cooler ?

Jan 7, 2021
Welcome tot he forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the case you were on prior and the case you moved to later? Did you make sure your AIO's pump connector is plugged into a header on the motherboard? Also, what orientation was the pump/radiator in, in the old build? How is it in the new build? Include images of your setup before and after after you host your images on Imgur, then parse the link here.

the old case was an nzxt Phantom and the new case is a Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB, the AIO cooler is plugged in to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard like it says in the manual from corsair and also was in the old case and the Corsair Link Cable is plugged in to the same USB header as it was in the old case. in the old case the radiator was mounted at the top with the hoses down and also is in the new case.

i have tried to change the Aio cooler plug to different fan headers and to the AIO_PUMP header aswell on the motherboard and also tried to move the corsair link cable to different USB headers. and have of course changed the cooler paste :)

here is a picture of the new case View: https://imgur.com/BgZAOqY

Even a bad case with no airflow wouldn't get to 90-100C inside a few minutes. It's specifically related to the CPU contact plate and the AIO contact plate. That's what can cause temperature like 100C inside a few minutes.

I'm not even sure a faulty pump on an AIO would get a CPU to 100C inside a few minutes if everything is mounted properly.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well that happened...

Time for some breadboarding, then.

Jan 7, 2021
Well that happened...

Time for some breadboarding, then.

How can this tell me if its the motherboard Will the Beep codes fra the microphone tell me the exact error?

Jan 7, 2021
It will tell you the more immediate one.

well now i tried the breadboarding and, at first the screens came back :) it gave me 1 long beep followed by 4 short the screen said cpu fan error which i could confirm by googleing the code, i tried the CPU_OPT header this did not change anything, then i changed the connector back to the CPU_FAN header and went in to the BIOS to set the monitoring of the cpu fan speed to ignore , then there is no beep codes, then i tried to connect the GPU still no error, but then i tried to put in the second Ram block and then no errors but nothing showed up on the screen, it was like the screen didnt have any connection, then i tried to go back to 1 ram block and 1 by 1 test both ram block no problem with either, then i tried with both ram block again and tried to change the DIMM they was seated in no change.
as soon as i have 2 ram blocks in i dont get any image no matter what DIMM i seat the ram blocks in.

what can this be?

well il be damm after trying a little more the pump turned back on so its not that but still no image with both ram blocks in?

Jan 7, 2021
Ram slot(s) coincidentally died after the chassis swap, or you have a bent pin(s) in the socket.

Try a different fan in the CPU_FAN header.

i think the slots died sadly, because there is no bent pin.

now i tried to put a normal fan to the CPU_FAN no errors, i tried to put the cpu cooler on the CPU_OPT no error but as soon i put it back on the CPU_FAN then there is an error unless i set it to ignore ofc .

isent it a little bit weird that there are no errors on the CPU:_FAN with a normal fan but an error with the cpu cooler when there is no error when the cpu Cooler is on the CPU_OPT?

Jan 7, 2021
Ram slot(s) coincidentally died after the chassis swap, or you have a bent pin(s) in the socket.

Try a different fan in the CPU_FAN header.

well now i doesn't matter anymore, i just decided that im just gonna upgrade a bit instead of dealing with it anymore so i just ordered a asus rog strix z490-f and a i9-10900k :p