[SOLVED] CPU temperature rises on BIOS after a power outage, causes PC to shut down

Aug 18, 2021
Hello everyone! I'd like to ask for some help.

We just had a power outage (~20 minutes) due to a thunderstorm. The PC was working fine beforehand. Now it boots, but it shuts down after 20-30 seconds.

So far, I've tried to reset the CMOS (via the two pins AND via taking out the mobo battery). I've also tried to undervolt the CPU to reduce temperatures. I have a surge protector for the PC but I have no idea what happened. The temperature on the BIOS starts at 80C, drops down to 77C then suddenly rises up fast (within 5-10 seconds) to 114C, causing the PC to shut down. The pump is working normally since I feel the water going around the tubing, and the fans on the radiator spin into overdrive to respond to the CPU's temperatures.

I've been told that this is probably a thermal paste issue and it coincided with the power outage, but I doubt it since I've shut down the PC last night and rebooted it this morning, and it booted up just fine. This is my first time building a PC, so I'm not sure if the thermal paste is enough. The thermal paste is stock from the AIO and this is how it looks like.

The PC is literally months old. I have no idea what happened. Is it the PSU? Is it the Motherboard getting a blown sensor after the power outage? Any ideas on how to fix it? If it helps, here are the full specs of the PC.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Based on your title, the 1st think I imagined could cause sudden temp problems after a power outage is that you have a water cooler, and it was affected somehow...an air cooler (and especially thermal paste) wouldn't be affected. Turns out you DO have a water cooler! Can you try an air cooler on the cpu to rule out the water cooler?
Based on your title, the 1st think I imagined could cause sudden temp problems after a power outage is that you have a water cooler, and it was affected somehow...an air cooler (and especially thermal paste) wouldn't be affected. Turns out you DO have a water cooler! Can you try an air cooler on the cpu to rule out the water cooler?

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Something definitely broke with that power outage--the question is what. I think the suggestion that the aio is suspect is a good place to start. :)

(I have an atari 2600. :D and then went to the TI-99/4A, C64, and then PC with and IBM PS/2 30-286. :) Still have all these too.)

Aug 18, 2021
Something definitely broke with that power outage--the question is what. I think the suggestion that the aio is suspect is a good place to start. :)

You guys are awesome. I barely had enough time to boot up the PC and activate NZXT CAM, and the pump was at 0 RPM.

At this point, an RMA is in order, right? Or is this not covered by warranty?

Last edited:
You're welcome! Glad you found the root cause. It depends on the length and terms of the warranty. I'd make sure you're in/out of warranty before you call them, and be sure to call them even if you are out of warranty because if you get the right person, they'll still cover it. :)

Aug 18, 2021
You're welcome! Glad you found the root cause. It depends on the length and terms of the warranty. I'd make sure you're in/out of warranty before you call them, and be sure to call them even if you are out of warranty because if you get the right person, they'll still cover it. :)

A little update on these, I replaced the cooler already with a friend's cooler -- same model as mine.

Still getting the same issue :/