[SOLVED] CPU Temperature show 90°C in BIOS, HWMonitor gives ~30°C

Mangraz

Reputable
Feb 21, 2017
Hey y'all,

Today I booted my PC and was greeted by the CPU fan spinning like crazy. Unconcerned, I rebooted, but the CPU was still at it. I took a look at the BIOS to see if any settings were off. Settings were normal. Temperature however, is reported at a precise 90°C constantly.

Back in Windows, I checked HWMonitor, which shows me core temperatures of around 30°C in idle and up to 70°C under sustained load. The cooler, the mainboard, the case, it's all cool to the touch in idle.

So I'm assuming there's some software issue at play here. Sensors obviously aren't broken, see HWMonitor. Except if the BIOS uses a different sensor to get its' readings?
Is there any known fix to this? If not, is there any way to avoid having to set fan speed at a constant RPM with no variation to avoid going deaf and/or overheating my CPU eventually?

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3
CPU: i5-9600k, very small OC

Solution
If the CPU is at 90 Deg C as reported by the BIOS, then you might want to touch the cooler's fascia to see if your fingers can touch it(to corroborate the 30 Deg C number). I'd suspect that the board might be pending a BIOS update or your OS is playing tricks with the platform, yes the OS does tend to override some sanity on the motherboard. Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing?

I did the touchy-feely test before posting. As I mentioned, there was no heat to be felt anywhere. But yeah, updating the BIOS was indeed a very good idea, as it fixed the problem. The fan is as silent as it's supposed to be. Updated from 15a to 15b. Kudos to Gigabyte for releasing an update after so many years.

Lutfij

Titan
If the CPU is at 90 Deg C as reported by the BIOS, then you might want to touch the cooler's fascia to see if your fingers can touch it(to corroborate the 30 Deg C number). I'd suspect that the board might be pending a BIOS update or your OS is playing tricks with the platform, yes the OS does tend to override some sanity on the motherboard. Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing?

Mangraz

Reputable
Feb 21, 2017

I did the touchy-feely test before posting. As I mentioned, there was no heat to be felt anywhere. But yeah, updating the BIOS was indeed a very good idea, as it fixed the problem. The fan is as silent as it's supposed to be. Updated from 15a to 15b. Kudos to Gigabyte for releasing an update after so many years.

Solution