Question CPU Temperature spiking up randomly

Sep 1, 2020
So I recently noticed that my CPU (i7-4790) temps are spiking up without any background tasks. Its at 45-48C idle but then suddenly spikes to 65-70C without any significant background activity. After a little diagnosis on my part, I changed the heatsink and re applied the thermal paste, but it did not fix the issue. I noticed the behavior on CoreTemp, so my temps are fine as long as the Package Power is within 10 * W, it spikes every 5-10 seconds and even goes till 30W at which the core temps are already around 75C minimum. What could be the reason behind this spike? (Package power volt as observed is directly related to my processor heating up without any background activity) Please help.

if its the malware wouldnt it appear in the task manager?
just depends on what type exactly it would be.
some use process names the same or similar to the OS or other applications, some do not appear at all.

how can it be fixed?
this depends on what exactly is causing it.

you can try to correct software issues with reinstalling Windows and system drivers.
you can try resetting the BIOS optimized defaults and\or clearing the CMOS.
or you can try updating to the latest BIOS or reflashing the current one.

for hardware issues with the CPU or motherboard;
this would take some troubleshooting and possibly replacing the culprit.

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
When attempting to determine if something is software or hardware, often one of the easiest things to do is change all the software at once: download and run a live-linux (you don't have to install, it will run right off a DVD or USB). Use the system monitor to do the same checks you've been doing in Windows and let us know if the issue persists in Linux.

Sep 1, 2020
just depends on what type exactly it would be.
some use process names the same or similar to the OS or other applications, some do not appear at all.

this depends on what exactly is causing it.

you can try to correct software issues with reinstalling Windows and system drivers.
you can try resetting the BIOS optimized defaults and\or clearing the CMOS.
or you can try updating to the latest BIOS or reflashing the current one.

for hardware issues with the CPU or motherboard;
this would take some troubleshooting and possibly replacing the culprit.

Thank you so much for this brother. I would like to add that my motherboard is quite faulty, it requires a form to be placed underneath otherwise it wont work, some earthing issues when it comes in contact with the casing directly. Everything was fine but then my PSU died randomly one day and I got it changed, since then the temps are high.