[SOLVED] CPU temperature too high....

May 8, 2020
Hey,so i dicovered a few days ago my CPU was hitting 90°C when in BIOS.Before a couple of months i didnt know what was a GPU,so basically i was such a noob,i didnt even check CPU temps.Also my thermal paste hadnt been changed in about 10 years.I used my PC for like 8 years,and the oher two years,it just lay there because i had gotten a new laptop.So when i noticed high temps,i checked the idle temps and they were near 50°C.
I took out my CPU fan and heatsink,and the thermal paste was ash.I decided to put a bit of toothpaste for running it for a couple of days until i bought some thermal paste.

I have been playing AC 1,2 , Farcry 1, and that kind of games for these past years.

Obviously,the temps must have been hitting about 85 to 90 celcius then.

Is it possible my CPU is damaged???

The performance is completely normal though.....

Processor-i3 540(Ancient)

Solution
I took out my CPU fan and heatsink,and the thermal paste was ash.I decided to put a bit of toothpaste for running it for a couple of days until i bought some thermal paste.
ROFL

You could use peanut butter or jelly and do less damage. Toothpaste not only a bad thermal conductive but also a good abrasive. Wash it off yesterday today and let it have a rest till you get the right stuff.

Unat2025

Commendable
Jun 5, 2019
it should be much lower, maybe there is some problem with cooler, maybe thermal paste under cpu's shield is bad. you need some experience to check it, and if your skill is low in that area maybe some service can help you

"I took out my CPU fan and heatsink,and the thermal paste was ash.I decided to put a bit of toothpaste for running it for a couple of days until i bought some thermal paste. "

lol...it reads like an April fools joke...I hope you didn't really use toothpaste ?

ROFL

You could use peanut butter or jelly and do less damage. Toothpaste not only a bad thermal conductive but also a good abrasive. Wash it off yesterday today and let it have a rest till you get the right stuff.

Solution