[SOLVED] CPU temperatures are going weird (New to this)

Jul 12, 2021
I recently brought a laptop.

Today I checked the temperatures of it's CPU and found it go something like this:

Surrounding Temps: Max=31C Min=24C

Not charging

Low Workload (Couple of tabs on edge, YT and stuff):

Max: 70C
Avg: 55-60C

Gaming CS:GO High Settings

Max: 80C
Avg: 75C

Idle

Max: 75C
Avg: 60-65C

While Charging

Cinebench Multicore Temps

Max: 90C
Avg: ~85C

Idle

Max: 93C (Sudden spikes to this temprature occour)
Avg: ~65C

After Restart While Charging:

Max: 95-97C
Avg: ~75c
Fans are going all out.

After Restart Without Charging:

Max: 90C
Avg: ~73C
Fans are still going all out.

Conclusion: There are very short but sudden spikes in temperature (to 90C+). The low work load average temperature are around 60-70(While Charging/Without Charging).
While charging both average temperature and max temp increase. Sometimes idle temps also go high for no visible reason. The overall Average could be 65-75C.

My problem is that the CPU shows spikes in temperatures beyond 90C. Is this normal? Is there any problems with the thermal paste or the fans perhaps?

Please Help.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 5000 Series

The laptop is lifted, there is a gap of ~0.7cms between the table and fans of the laptop.

i7-11370H Processor

16Gb RAM

Nvidia MX450 Graphics Card

Intel Iris Xe Integrated Graphics.

Thanks.

Solution
Hey there,

So this type of issue is pretty normal in a gaming laptop. Whilst your GPU isn't the strongest, I'd still class it as a gaming laptop. Your temps will generally be on the high side.

You can do a few things to combat this.

1. Get a good cooling pad. This will allow more airflow, and thus cooler air going into your intake fans, and cool the CPU/GPU better. 1cm raised is not enough. its should be 2-3 inches. The cooling pad will have set positions to choose from.

2. Undervolt your CPU. You can do this with Intel XTU or Throttlestop. This has a combined effect of reducing the voltage to your CPU (and therefore your CPU temps) which will have further impact on your CPU's performance, which will boost higher and for longer. It...
Hey there,

So this type of issue is pretty normal in a gaming laptop. Whilst your GPU isn't the strongest, I'd still class it as a gaming laptop. Your temps will generally be on the high side.

You can do a few things to combat this.

1. Get a good cooling pad. This will allow more airflow, and thus cooler air going into your intake fans, and cool the CPU/GPU better. 1cm raised is not enough. its should be 2-3 inches. The cooling pad will have set positions to choose from.

2. Undervolt your CPU. You can do this with Intel XTU or Throttlestop. This has a combined effect of reducing the voltage to your CPU (and therefore your CPU temps) which will have further impact on your CPU's performance, which will boost higher and for longer. It will also reduce fan speed/noise.

3. Consider replacing the thermal paste on your laptop. The generic paste used in most gamin laptop is often pants. SOme good quality paste will reduce your temps by 5-10c.

All of these things combined can have your CPU running less than 80c for even demanding tasks.

Solution