[SOLVED] CPU Temperatures are running high

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
My new i7 9700K runs extremely hot (90 - 100 degrees) under 40-50% load. I was wondering if this is abnormal or not. I know that the intel stock cooler is bad, but are these normal temps for the stock cooler. Furthermore, I am looking to change my stock cooler to a new CPU cooler, but I do not know which ones are good for i7 9700K. I would also prefer if the color of the cooler is white. My budget is around $50 and I really do not want to go over that.
I recently just got a new CPU and upgraded from an i5 9400f to an i7 9700k. Since I got it today, I have kept the stock intel cooler for both of them and played one game of VALORANT and my CPU began to get super hot, even when I capped the fps at 144. It ran up to around 97 degrees as I was also streaming on discord which took up some CPU usage.
My specs are
i7 9700k (stock cooler)
MSI B360 GAMING ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
NZXT H510i (only 2 exhausts fans at the top and the bottom, no intake fans)
Corsair Vengeance 2666MHZ 8gb x 2 (16gb)
Corsair CX650M Power Supply
Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
I was looking into the Hyper 212 EVO, the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 CPU Air Cooler, or the Scythe Mugen 5. Are any of these any good / will keep temps low? Or should I look for others.
Thanks in advance for any help that you guys have given me. If you need anymore information, just ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pand HD
Solution
Evo 212 is an okay cooler, when it is on sale. I don't particularly like the fan it comes with, a bit noisy.

Still, the Evo 212 is a quad direct contact heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan. Gammaxx GTE V2 is a match for that.

Lots of variants of the 212 line as well, some are a little cheaper at the moment.

RGB version for $5 more: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hH...ck-edition-573-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pc-r1

I would probably pick from these:

Scythe Mugen or Noctua are more well known. Pure Rock 2 is probably comparable to the Evo 212, but quieter.

Not seen any reviews of the TC14S, but does have the largest fan here, might be the quietest...

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Phanteks TC-14S is junk. It's well built, everything Phanteks is, it's just a really bad design, the fin stacks aren't optimized for the fan, and aren't nearly large enough for the expected heat.

It's a fancy looking stock cooler equivalent at best.
Alright, I was not planning on getting that anyways. Thanks for letting me know!

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Well, with that test bench and under those conditions. Gap goes to 5 degrees under an overclocked load.

The noise profile is usually the next thing to look at, which the Mugen also wins.

Would be nice to have that particular Noctua on there as well, I imagine it would come close to the NH12 on that list.
Ive decided that I am going to get the Arctic Freezer, but which version should I get? The 34 with the single fan? or the DUO with dual fans? Is it performance increase worth the extra $7 to get the DUO or is it just better to save money and get the single?

TRENDING THREADS