CPU Temperatures Differ On Software

Noobzilla

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
I have a temperature monitoring program from the manufacturer of my motherboard and it says my temperatures arearound 44 degrees celceus however speccy says its all the way in the 60c's. Which one should I believe?

Boards read temperatures different than the cpu. Sometimes it is a sensor in the socket or another sensor in the cpu. My board does the same thing as well as do many. I go by core temps.

Note the "CPU" matches my boards software and the other match all the software to read core temps
athth.jpg

Core temps(from sensors in the die) tend to be higher. Die sensors are generally made to throttle the cpu or even shut it down when too hot and are not as accurate at lower temperatures.

If you have an Intel setup check this out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Those are some wildly varied temperatures.

Can i get a screen shot of cpuid, It may also show "core temps"

I remember many AMD cpus slowing very low temperatures for core's until they got loaded(again senors are more accurate at higher temperatures because they have a purpose).

The board software temperatures are the ones that control the fans and may be more accurate at lower temperatures and may line up at higher temperatures. I know my 955BE was very close to the board at about 32 idle and 57 load(overclocked a bit.)

Noobzilla

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015

cpuid.jpg

sorry I had to upload it

edit-
should I get you one of the manufacturers temperatures?

Seth L

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
I have the same issue, Noobzilla.
However, when I asked once, the community came to the conclusion that I needed to RMA. RMA'd both the mobo and the CPU(same CPU as you) and even the new ones do the same thing(different manufacturer on the board this time around)
So I'm just gonna let mine do whatever. If it fries, it fries.
Also, lol, I have the same board as you. Have you tried after market cooling? I have a Hyper T4 with the fans set to max(I know it will lower the life span, but it's $30 compared to $90) so I'm sure our sensors are just bad.
What cooler are you using?

That package temperature seems high unless you are under load(clearly not by the load level).

Do you have no power management on? The readings are conflicted. Clearly you have idle voltage on the cpu, but it shows full speed all the time.

I am going to have to go with the board maker on this one because that onboard sensor looks wrong. How are the temperatures when gaming or running heavy programs?

Seth L, No way you will fry it(unless the cooler was installed wrong or with the plastic left on). Even the stock cooler keeps the cpu within the thermal limits(or else they would not include it) unless you live in a VERY hot area and even than it should still just hold on. Its loud, but upto the task for a stock system. As for the fan, I am sure it will last a long time. Older systems used to not control the fans at all and they went 100% for years.