[SOLVED] CPU temperatures hitting 70 when idle

Jun 12, 2020
So i recently built my first computer. Other than regular starting troubleshooting, everything has been working fine except for one thing- my cpu temperatures are super high and it worries me. Just making this post makes my cpu hit around 72c, and when gaming it often hits 90c. I tried reapplying thermal paste, and reseating my heatsink, and that didnt work. My other components are at safe temperatures,.
So I'm wondering if this is because I have a stock cooler and my room's ac is very bad, or if it's because the voltage on my cpu is higher than it should be. Going off of cpu-z, my cpu is ranging from 1.2-1.4 v even when idle, and I'm not sure if thats good or not.
If anyone has any advice on things to try to bring down temperatures in this hot summer, id really appreciate it
At this point, i dont care if performance is hit too much, as long as my cpu is at safe temperatures
I have a ryzen 5 3600 with a ryzen wraith spire stock cooler

Solution
So i have a naxt h510, which i have heard is not a good case in general sadly
NZXT's H500 series isn't bad, it's just misunderstood. Most of the problems with that chassis are user generated.
If you are air cooling only, the stock orientation - top and rear fan exhaust - is the best configuration. This chassis specializes in negative pressure; as long as the user doesn't disturb this, thermals should be fine...
That front fan should not be there.

1)What is the motherboard make and model?
2)Are you running the balanced power plan in Windows? That's the best one to use with a Ryzen cpu.
3)Are you checking those thermals with either Ryzen Master or hwinfo? Other applications tend to be off by a bit.
What is the make/model of your case?
What is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs adequate fresh air to let it do it's job.

At idle, something is wrong with your cooler mount.
You should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.
Perhaps the cooler is not tightened down evenly, a common mistake.

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 12, 2020
What is the make/model of your case?
What is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs adequate fresh air to let it do it's job.

At idle, something is wrong with your cooler mount.
You should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.
Perhaps the cooler is not tightened down evenly, a common mistake.
So i have a naxt h510, which i have heard is not a good case in general sadly, and I have 1 fan in the front and one in the back so air flows throught the case.I made sure the cooler is as tight as it should be as well

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So i have a naxt h510, which i have heard is not a good case in general sadly
NZXT's H500 series isn't bad, it's just misunderstood. Most of the problems with that chassis are user generated.
If you are air cooling only, the stock orientation - top and rear fan exhaust - is the best configuration. This chassis specializes in negative pressure; as long as the user doesn't disturb this, thermals should be fine...

2)Are you running the balanced power plan in Windows? That's the best one to use with a Ryzen cpu.
3)Are you checking those thermals with either Ryzen Master or hwinfo? Other applications tend to be off by a bit.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
Jun 12, 2020

Im using an aorus x570 elite wifi, and Im checking thermals with ryzen master. How would i check what balanced power plan im on?