CPU Temperatures on Qotom PC

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All

After a bit of advice or some thoughts on CPU temperatures.

I recently bought a Qotom Q220S mini PC with an Intel i5-3317U processor, 8GB RAM and 64GB SSD, that I want to use as an Opnsense router. I've been using an old PC as my Opnsense box until now and I was really impressed, the only issue is the constant fan noise in the background, and because it has to be positioned in the living room, the noise becomes very annoying, hence why I wanted to get a quieter mini PC with dual LAN ports, and the Qotom seemed to fit the bill perfectly. The model I purchased has a CPU cooling fan, but you can get fanless models.

Anyway, after installing Opnsense on the Qotom, and using it for a few days I have noticed the CPU temperatures seem to always be between the 60'C to 65'C range, even with a low CPU load. For a brand new machine I thought this quite warm. I know the CPU is within it's safe operating range, but I can't help but think there might be an issue with it, considering its brand new. I've changed the thermal paste for the CPU and thermal pad for the GPU, thinking it might have been built with shoddy materials, but this has had no impact on temperatures. I have to say that even though the fan does create airflow, it's not what I would call substantial. I've also attached a USB fan to it and positioned it to blow air through the side vent, and this has bought temps down to what I believe is a much more acceptable level, ranging between 45'C and 50'C. Being used as an Opnsense router, the Qotom will never really go into an idle state, it will always have some load going through it, so I don't expect it to achieve idle temperatures.

What I'd like some advice on is whether this 60'C to 65'C CPU temperature range is something to be concerned about, or whether this is quite normal and perfectly safe to run at these speeds indefinitely.

Any thoughts / views on this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013

Cheers for the reply and the info, much appreciated.

It is actually the fan based model, not fanless, which I thought odd considering the higher temps. However, the fan does look pretty pathetic tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if the fan motor is adding to the heat rather than transferring it away from the heatsink. Plus there was a plastic strip covering the top of the heatsink, so the fan directed air flow out of the side vent. I took that off, but in hindsight I'm wondering if I should put it back on??

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013

That's what Qotom themselves have said. Apparently the plastic directs hot air out of the side vent, if it wasn't there the fan would blow hot air around the inside of the unit, and being metal casing that would retain heat and thus transfer heat back onto the motherboard, as well as the heat already generated.

I've just seen an article stating normal / average operating temps for a Ivy Bridge i5 processor is between 50'C and 62'C, so the Qotom CPU is at the higher end of that range, but around that range so all seems as it should be.

I'll keep monitoring temps just to be sure, other than that it works a treat and dead silent compared to the PC I was running Opnsense on.

Thanks for the help Monkey, much appreciated.