Question CPU temps are back to high after 2-3 days of normal temps have re-applying thermal paste

InvalidError

Titan
If you were using the stock HSF, the plastic deforms over time and cannot hold it tight against the CPU after 3-4 years assuming it was installed properly on the first try. Once the OEM paste gets compromised for whatever reason (ex.: nudging the HSF while swapping internal components or cleaning, or just shock load from bumping the case), the OEM HSF is often done with - won't work right ever again.

I consider Intel's stock HSF with all-plastic push-pin retention mechanism that have almost no tolerance margins as one-time-use.

Anonymous72

Commendable
Feb 28, 2020
If you were using the stock HSF, the plastic deforms over time and cannot hold it tight against the CPU after 3-4 years assuming it was installed properly on the first try. Once the OEM paste gets compromised for whatever reason (ex.: nudging the HSF while swapping internal components or cleaning, or just shock load from bumping the case), the OEM HSF is often done with - won't work right ever again.

I consider Intel's stock HSF with all-plastic push-pin retention mechanism that have almost no tolerance margins as one-time-use.

So you're suggesting I buy another HSF but not intel's push pins?

the Evo is compatible with these sockets.
Intel: LGA 2011, 1366, 1151, 1150, 1155, 1156, AMD: FM2+, FM2, FM1, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2, AM1, AM4

You have a socket 1155, so yes it will work with your setup. Depending on your ram you might have to put the fan on the back of the cooler and pull air through it instead of pushing. but that all depends on how tall your ram is.

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
Indeed... signs of a broken or poorly installed cooler. Remember, it's the thing that keeps your PC cool without throttling, and overheating tends to be bad especially when it's hitting 100c :)

Invest in it!

Anonymous72

Commendable
Feb 28, 2020
the Evo is compatible with these sockets.
Intel: LGA 2011, 1366, 1151, 1150, 1155, 1156, AMD: FM2+, FM2, FM1, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2, AM1, AM4

You have a socket 1155, so yes it will work with your setup. Depending on your ram you might have to put the fan on the back of the cooler and pull air through it instead of pushing. but that all depends on how tall your ram is.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Lz17sQ8

Here is a pic of my PC

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
On that photo the top right pin are not in btw.Most prob not the problem just something i noticed.I personally would steer clear from intel cooler's they have horrible stock coolers compared to amd hell even my fx 4170 had a beefy cooler.

Anonymous72

Commendable
Feb 28, 2020
On that photo the top right pin are not in btw.Most prob not the problem just something i noticed.I personally would steer clear from intel cooler's they have horrible stock coolers compared to amd hell even my fx 4170 had a beefy cooler.
I literally just threw that HSF in the garbage, I cannot stand pushing the pins in, one of the plastic teeth on the pins broke, so I just threw it out and ordered the one that a user suggested above.

TRENDING THREADS