[SOLVED] Cpu Temps are (very) High

Feb 23, 2022
Hello. I have a rather old CPU (i5-2430M) and I recently ran a benchmark using userbenchmark.exe. I did the benchmark and at the end it said my computer was performing below expectations at the 36th percentile. So I was like what went wrong. So I scroll down and my CPU benched at a 10 Percent. Or Way below expectations. Last time I ran this Benchmark I had a 97 Percent Benchmark. I just installed new ram, could this be the problem? When I checked CPUIDHWMONITOR it read my idle CPU temps at 60 degrees Celsius . I will replace thermal paste soon. Any recommendations in the mean time?

Solution
Replacing the CPU to heat sink thermal compound doesn't always solve the problem.
Perfectly correct.
Thermal paste applied thin enough can last 10-plus years.
A 'Good' paste generally only lasts @ 8 years±, before the chemical structure due to heat and pressure breaks down far enough to hamper thermal conductivity. Crappy pastes might last 3-5 years.
If you find you need to replace the paste because the heat is too high, be sure to use a tiny amount, not larger than a green pea, in the middle of the CPU surface. Spread the paste from the center towards the using a flat plastic-bread bag clip like they use to keep the bag closed. Don't [push the paste too close to the edge of the CPU edge so the heat sink can't push...

Roger...

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
Replacing the CPU to heat sink thermal compound doesn't always solve the problem. Thermal paste applied thin enough can last 10-plus years. If you find you need to replace the paste because the heat is too high, be sure to use a tiny amount, not larger than a green pea, in the middle of the CPU surface. Spread the paste from the center towards the using a flat plastic-bread bag clip like they use to keep the bag closed. Don't [push the paste too close to the edge of the CPU edge so the heat sink can't push it over the side where it can short the CPU or its socket pins.

If the age of the water cooler is a closed-loop, meaning it has no simple way to add water, and the years the closed cooler has been running are more than 5, the cooler might be the overheating problem. Water loss through the water hoses isn't fast, but it happens. I lost a 32Gb group of ram when my single slowly as the years accumulated.

Water pump impellers wear over the years as well the volume of water that can be pushed through the radiator and pulled back into the heat sink pump diminishes the cooler's ability to keep the CPU temperature down as it did when it was installed for the first time.

The temperature between the two hoses drops as the water level, or the pump loses its ability to move water drops. To some extent, doubling up the number of fans pushing are through the radiator increases the amount of heat that be removed from the water.

If you find less than a 10Cegree difference between the hot water hose and cooled water hose, try adding a second fan as a pair to see if that helps. If it doesn't, a replacement cooler might be what you need.

Replacing the CPU to heat sink thermal compound doesn't always solve the problem. Thermal paste applied thin enough can last 10-plus years. If you find you need to replace the paste because the heat is too high, be sure to use a tiny amount, not larger than a green pea, in the middle of the CPU surface. Spread the paste from the center towards the using a flat plastic-bread bag clip like they use to keep the bag closed. Don't [push the paste too close to the edge of the CPU edge so the heat sink can't push it over the side where it can short the CPU or its socket pins.

If the age of the water cooler is a closed-loop, meaning it has no simple way to add water, and the years the closed cooler has been running are more than 5, the cooler might be the overheating problem. Water loss through the water hoses isn't fast, but it happens. I lost a 32Gb group of ram when my single slowly as the years accumulated.

Water pump impellers wear over the years as well the volume of water that can be pushed through the radiator and pulled back into the heat sink pump diminishes the cooler's ability to keep the CPU temperature down as it did when it was installed for the first time.

The temperature between the two hoses drops as the water level, or the pump loses its ability to move water drops. To some extent, doubling up the number of fans pushing are through the radiator increases the amount of heat that be removed from the water.

If you find less than a 10Cegree difference between the hot water hose and cooled water hose, try adding a second fan as a pair to see if that helps. If it doesn't, a replacement cooler might be what you need.
Where/when did OP mention the cooler type?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Replacing the CPU to heat sink thermal compound doesn't always solve the problem.
Perfectly correct.
Thermal paste applied thin enough can last 10-plus years.
A 'Good' paste generally only lasts @ 8 years±, before the chemical structure due to heat and pressure breaks down far enough to hamper thermal conductivity. Crappy pastes might last 3-5 years.
If you find you need to replace the paste because the heat is too high, be sure to use a tiny amount, not larger than a green pea, in the middle of the CPU surface. Spread the paste from the center towards the using a flat plastic-bread bag clip like they use to keep the bag closed. Don't [push the paste too close to the edge of the CPU edge so the heat sink can't push it over the side where it can short the CPU or its socket pins.
Almost all pastes are non-electrically conductive. That's pretty much relegated to liquid metals or similar pastes. The only issue really with overpasting is the mess it makes and the chances of getting paste in the socket if you remove the cpu before removing the mess.
Water loss through the water hoses isn't fast,
Water is too molecularly large to pass through the low-evap tubing. Instead, it's heat that Finally starts breaking down the coolant into respective elements, gas etc and it's the loss of oxygen and other molecules of that size or smaller which lowers coolant levels.
The temperature between the two hoses drops as the water level, or the pump loses its ability to move water drops.
Almost, but backwards. If there's no coolant in one hose, there's a much larger difference between the two, but only momentarily and only next to the component heating up coolant that's not moving.
If you find less than a 10Cegree difference between the hot water hose and cooled water hose, try adding a second fan as a pair to see if that helps.
With a working loop, the difference between the input and output hoses should be somewhere around 2-3°C at most. Coolant has a huge capacity to absorb heat energy, with little affect to its temp. Think of a pan of water on the stove. Takes a long time to get hot, even though it's absorbing over 1500w from the burner. A cpu is dumping @ 50w-300w into the coolant. A cpu might be at a constant 70°C, but the coolant itself barely gets over @ 45°C since it's constantly dumping that energy into the radiator (heat exchanger)

Op, high temps at idle mean one of 2 things. Paste has lost its edge and isn't as thermally conductive as it was, requiring a repaste or lack of airflow. That lack can be due to intake/exhaust fans loosing speed, clogged filters, clogged heatsinks where cooler air passing over/through the cpu cooler is diminished, or heated air is being recycled through the heatsink. A good maintenance tip is to not only repaste, but give the pc in general a thoroughly good dusting, especially around the heatsink and fans.

You can also check usage. Idle should be somewhere around 5% usage±, but anything higher than @ 10% means you have a load on the cpu, it's not actually at idle state regardless if you are actively using it or not.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS