CPU temps around 48-62 (stock settings, load 15-22%), what's wrong??

Oct 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm new to forums and such and i thought i'd ask help online. so here's the thing:
I recently upgraded my build, but now i'm getting temps around 48-62 of my cpu cores, load around 15-22% (ambient temp of 20 degrees celcius and stock settings). I already reapplied the thermal paste and checked that. I feel like this isn't normal but i don't know how to figure out what the problem is, can someone please advise me. I don't know enough about computers to figure this one out on my own.

My setup:
- MoBo Asus maximus formula X
-Intel i7 8700K (core voltage at 0.720v)
- AIO corsair H150i pro (push configuration)
- corsair DDR4 vengeance rgb pro
- nvidea geoforce GTX 1080
- Corsair AXI1200i
- about 8 fans in total (three Corsair LL140 and five Corsair LL120)

I'm worried something is wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure it out on my own by searching online, can someone please help I would really apreciate it.(sorry for my bad english)

Oct 7, 2018

I really hope not because the cooler is brandnew, got it because my old one failed. In general my desktop is slow (slower than it should be) and in-game I have stuttering on games, it should play on ultra with ease.

Oct 14, 2018
forgive me if this is a stupid answer, I was able to change the speed of the fans using software on my laptop, you might be able to change
the power/speed by downloading software or through the BIOS

Oct 7, 2018

I Know, I have no problems controlling my fan speed, the problem lies somewhere else. Just don't know where yet.

what are your temps with at idle (800-1200 MHz as indicated on HWMonitor?) with no browser open, sitting at desktop? (You must be certain that no WIndows update, virus scan, etc., activity is occurring before you potentially prematurely decide a CPU's temp is perhaps too high)

At idle, with only a browser open, (no scan occurring no updates downloading, etc.,), my CPU usage (in task manager) is usually 1-2%....; what is yours? (You did not give the usage scenario when listing 15-22% usage, so, the numbers don't give much to go on)

Was this a fresh/full reinstall, or, a reboot with new hardware (MB and CPU) and let WIndows hopefully figure it all out (which rarely works)?

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
disable the WIFI in bios, does it go away?
Hopefully they made these motherboards so that the WIFI is on a replaceable module. Otherwise, its a goner if the WIFI shorts out if its soldered on board.
Since this chip set uses a software driver for the hard drive controller, its probably the cause.
Run DPC latency Checker to see what drivers are taking up the processor's real time usage.

Oct 7, 2018

Today I again did a fresh reinstall of windows, hoping this would solve it, but it didn't. BIOS still on stock settings. i've made a screenpic of HWMonitor, CoreTemp and task manager. but it still doesn't make much sense to me. I'm probably missing something obvious, because my pc is running way too slow and possibly with temps that are too high. I don't know if this pic gives you enough information about what might be wrong.

r2ZYl1E.jpg

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
Did you clean the top of the processor and the heat sink plate first with alcohol and paper towel to get rid of any residual oils?
Maybe he went too thick with the paste.
I like to put mine on the processor and spread it thinly using a plastic card (I use an expired credit card )
I would polish the plate a little with a dab of the thermal grease on the plate with a light rub in with a terry-cloth towel.
I like to use arctic silver.

Oct 7, 2018

the case is a corsair 780t, they are all corsair ll rgb fans. three 120's in the front, two 120's at the bottom, two 140's on the radiator, and one 140 at the back of the case. i've got no problem with controlling my fan speeds.

Oct 7, 2018

I've tried reininstalling the AIO three times already, doesn't fix anything. I used artic silver . used the dot method for applying the thermal paste.

Oct 7, 2018

I know right, well first I was like, maybe i didn't seat it correctly. and after doing other tests. i'm like maybe i did it wrong again possibly, and eventually out of desperation again tried reseating it. but i do everything step by step, like manuals, youtube tutorials, carefully, free of any static charge. build pc before, never had this problem.

Oct 7, 2018

I wish i had that option, before this i had a different AIO from Swiftech that had te be replaced, cause the pump wasn't functioning proper anymore.and i got carried away not only buying a new AIO, but also buying a new motherboard, cpu, fans and memory (the ones mentioned in my current setup)

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

can you tell if the pump is running?
other than that, I would look at the cooling fan arrangement and radiator install.

If I was assembling this, I would remove the top cover and install the radiator on top. If corsair have been thinking, the top cover go back on, otherwise, I would rework it so that it fits with the radiator installed. I would then Install the fans inside the case on the radiator with the fans pushing out. All external case fans (2 in front. one in back,) pushing in. I would install the power supply so that the fan is upside down. and pulling air in for itself from the bottom. If the fan is installed so that it is pulling air in, I would open up the power supply and flip the fan around so that the air is pulled in with the fan and exhaust out the back.

Also, all of the fans, I would replace them since the airflow cooling results (in any configuration) would end up with heat buildup.

Limiting the fan selection to corsair fans (no pun intended):

Radiator fans: ML120 (three of them)
Case fans: HD140 (three of them)

All case fans pulling air into the case, while the radiator fans are pushing air out from the top.

This is my recommendation as an electronics engineer.

The end result after including the cfm loss of the radiator, you should have a slightly positive case pressure and with this setup the efficiency of the cooling will be a dramatic increase.

edit: the only adjustments you might need to do is block some of the holes in the back of the case. I notice you have a lot of fans already installed, but they need to be 70 cfm or better for each fan. I would block any holes around the fans with electrical tape to prevent local re-circulation effects. Evaluating this, I find that none of the fans that were supplied with the case or radiator are really suitable for this setup.

Oct 7, 2018
OMG I figured out what was causing the high load en temp's in my case. Turns out the LN2 function on the motherboard was enabled, when I disabled it everything went to normal logical loads and temps. I feel so stupid for not noticing that it was on earlier.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
I'm surprised anyone puts LN2 on a board. Ln2 increases duty cycle of each pulse, so effectively, you had more current draw and heat in that process. Its a useless feature, because the duty cycle modification it does not fix cold boot issues associated with liquid nitrogen cooling. Why in the world someone would do that (liquid nitrogen cooling) to a machine anyways and on a level that required a mass production? Just silly.

Ok, to give you guys info on this:

These mainboards have some self-timed circuitry (also known as asynchronous circuitry). Circuitry speed, for both synchronous and asynchronous circuitry, is sensitive to supply voltage level, fabrication process, and temperature level. Normally, for mainboards whose operating temperature range is no wider than room temperature, this isn't a huge issue that requires extraordinary measures. But when the temperature variations involved are as large as 77K–320K or more, this temperature sensitivity becomes a significant factor.

Self-timed circuitry can be adapted to cope with such temperature variations. (Synchronous circuitry is constrained by the PVT (process-voltage-temperature) assumptions that went into calculating its clock speed.) What the LN2 mode does is modify the operation of the self-timed circuitry to try to cope with its behaviour at such low temperatures.