[SOLVED] CPU temps changing every second while idle. New rig. Please help?

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
So I installed r7 3700x, applied Nt-h1 thermal paste using a dot method. Put on the stock cooler Wraith Prism.
Motherboard: x570 Aorus Elite.

Now I tried 2 different monitor softwares and both are showing me constantly changing CPU voltages and temperatures every second while idle...
One software shows min/max values of 32-60 Celsius.

Is this normal or what?

On my previous rig I didn't have such thing with FX8320. Temperature values were stable.

I think 32-60 is abnormal for idle.
I would look at the CPU usage versus time in Afterburner and see if the temp spikes coincide with usage. I think they probably do.
Then you need to find out what is causing the CPU spikes.
I would go to Task Manager and see what's running.
OR.....I would disable certain things until I found what makes it stop.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
I think 32-60 is abnormal for idle.
I would look at the CPU usage versus time in Afterburner and see if the temp spikes coincide with usage. I think they probably do.
Then you need to find out what is causing the CPU spikes.
I would go to Task Manager and see what's running.
OR.....I would disable certain things until I found what makes it stop.

Also my fan is reacting to these changes and I can hear it speed up and slow down randomly.

Also I have fresh install of windows. There aren't many things I am running. Basically empty windows.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Hows your case air flow? If you have restricted air flow or static pressure that could be causing thermals to be bad along with it throttling while idling. I know the 3rd gen ryzen has been running kinda hot to begin with, they stated this a few weeks ago.

"Also my fan is reacting to these changes and I can hear it speed up and slow down randomly. "
I think this may be normal. It's just reacting to the temps.

"Also I have fresh install of windows. There aren't many things I am running. Basically empty windows. "

Although this is a bit puzzling.

I would still first want to look at the CPU versus time and the temp versus time just to get an idea what the CPU is doing.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hows your case air flow? If you have restricted air flow or static pressure that could be causing thermals to be bad along with it throttling while idling. I know the 3rd gen ryzen has been running kinda hot to begin with, they stated this a few weeks ago.

I currently have all my case open. As I did not finalize my checks. When I am all done I will close the case. So right now the air flow should be good.
Case: 3 front fans and 1 rear fan.

"Also my fan is reacting to these changes and I can hear it speed up and slow down randomly. "
I think this may be normal. It's just reacting to the temps.

"Also I have fresh install of windows. There aren't many things I am running. Basically empty windows. "

Although this is a bit puzzling.

I would still first want to look at the CPU versus time and the temp versus time just to get an idea what the CPU is doing.

1. I checked task manager and CPU is reacting to processes for sure. I tried online stress test and CPU went 100% utilization. I ran test for 10 minutes. Temps at the beginning were ~ 56-60 Celsius. After 5 minutes ~62-70C. After 10 minutes 65-72 C. Max temps never went above 73 C.
But throughout all this temps keep jumping back and forth within those ranges every half a second.

2. My fan kept slowing down dramatically and then started spinning fast again. Over and over again randomly under 100% usage and ~70C temps. Shouldn't it be spinning at max for all duration?

3. Is it just me or the fan spin changes direction all the time? Sometimes it spins one way and then immediately goes the other way?

4. I touched the coolers heatpipes during this stress test and after and they were barely warm.
??? Is that weird? Is the cooler doing its job or I have bad heat transfer from my CPU?
PC has been running for about an hour now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanathon

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I currently have all my case open. As I did not finalize my checks. When I am all done I will close the case. So right now the air flow should be good.

1. I checked task manager and CPU is reacting to processes for sure. I tried online stress test and CPU went 100% utilization. I ran test for 10 minutes. Temps at the beginning were ~ 56-60 Celsius. After 5 minutes ~62-70C. After 10 minutes 65-72 C. Max temps never went above 73 C.
But throughout all this temps keep jumping back and forth within those ranges every half a second.

2. My fan kept slowing down dramatically and then started spinning fast again. Over and over again randomly under 100% usage and ~70C temps. Shouldn't it be spinning at max for all duration?

3. Is it just me or the fan spin changes direction all the time? Sometimes it spins one way and then immediately goes the other way?

4. I touched the coolers heatpipes during this stress test and after and they were barely warm.
??? Is that weird? Is the cooler doing its job or I have bad heat transfer from my CPU?
Keeping the sidepanel helps with pressure, im reading that you say the heatpipes are cool, maybe pulling the cooler and looking at the thermal paste to see where it goes, it could be a case of bad thermal induction between the heatsink and processor due to it being uneven. Id pull the heatsink and make sure you have thermalpaste all over the cpu.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Keeping the sidepanel helps with pressure, im reading that you say the heatpipes are cool, maybe pulling the cooler and looking at the thermal paste to see where it goes, it could be a case of bad thermal induction between the heatsink and processor due to it being uneven. Id pull the heatsink and make sure you have thermalpaste all over the cpu.

And how do I spread the paste all over the cpu? Do i need to do it manually and not just relying on heatsinks pressure? Because Wraith Prism cooler has weird hinges. You need to hinge one side and then another.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
And how do I spread the paste all over the cpu? Do i need to do it manually and not just relying on heatsinks pressure? Because Wraith Prism cooler has weird hinges. You need to hinge one side and then another.
Do you have a plastic spoon or something flat and non conductive? You could use that to spread it to the processor. If it is pooling up in spots and theirs nothing in the other spots then it could either be not enough paste or the cooler/CPU heat sink could be uneven. Relying on the heatsink to spread it isnt always the greatest idea, if you don't put enough on it wont spread evenly and you can have thermal issues. If this doesn't fix it then it could be a different issue.

Being you temps never went above 73.....even in the stress test.....I don't think you have a temp problem.

It seems like something is using the CPU.

As far as the fan spinning both ways.....I am at a loss to explain this.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Do you have a plastic spoon or something flat and non conductive? You could use that to spread it to the processor. If it is pooling up in spots and theirs nothing in the other spots then it could either be not enough paste or the cooler/CPU heat sink could be uneven. Relying on the heatsink to spread it isnt always the greatest idea, if you don't put enough on it wont spread evenly and you can have thermal issues. If this doesn't fix it then it could be a different issue.

I did spread thermal paste manually now with a plastic plain pad. Nothing changed. Maybe got even worse by a degree or so.
And yes. Coolers heatsink isn't plain but doing this manually didn't give me any better results. So probably this whole spiking thing isn't an issue with paste application.

Also I've read somewhere this is completely normal before coming here... So idk..

Being you temps never went above 73.....even in the stress test.....I don't think you have a temp problem.

It seems like something is using the CPU.
As far as the fan spinning both ways.....I am at a loss to explain this.

How come you are at a loss? Can't you say its that is intended design or what? Forgive my cluelessness.

p.s. is this a normal CPU graph during a stress test?

cpu.png

Last time I ran this test it was always at 100%.... "Stress test" (https://silver.urih.com/ )

Last edited:
So I installed r7 3700x, applied Nt-h1 thermal paste using a dot method. Put on the stock cooler Wraith Prism.
Motherboard: x570 Aorus Elite.

Now I tried 2 different monitor softwares and both are showing me constantly changing CPU voltages and temperatures every second while idle...
One software shows min/max values of 32-60 Celsius.

Is this normal or what?

On my previous rig I didn't have such thing with FX8320. Temperature values were stable.

Yes it's normal behavior for both voltage and temp to fluctuate...remember Windows is constantly running things in the background.

The fan cycling up and down can be adjusted in BIOS by setting a fixed fan voltage that will give the rpm you find provides the best balance between noise and cooling...I generally set mine between 5 and 6.5v, but it depends on type of fan and their cooling capabilities.

As far as the fans "changing direction" that's not really happening...what you're seeing is the reflection of light off the fan blades as they change speed and is normal...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrc_v7X1rSY

Last edited:

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Now I am running another "extreme test". CPU is at 100% constantly.
Temperatures stable. ~ 60C. Although not sure why temps stabilized during this test.
5 mins into the test:
https://postimg.cc/fJnyQ200
20 minute after extreme stress test. Temperatures were stable at 60 C.

Now back to the other stress test that again makes my CPU go back and forth from 60-100% giving me fluctuating 65-74C. (any idea why?)

Been running stress tests for about 30 minutes now.
Temperatures average 70C. Min: 55 Max: 76

I assume 80C after hour long stress test with stock cooler would be normal...

I don't see any abnormalities other than spiking temperatures. And they don't seem to go past unreasonable amounts.

Last edited:

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Yes it's normal behavior for both voltage and temp to fluctuate...remember Windows is constantly running things in the background.

The fan cycling up and down can be adjusted in BIOS by setting a fixed fan voltage that will give the rpm you find provides the best balance between noise and cooling...I generally set mine between 5 and 6.5v, but it depends on type of fan and their cooling capabilities.

As far as the fans "changing direction" that's not really happening...what you're seeing is the reflection of light off the fan blades as they change speed and is normal...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrc_v7X1rSY

IMG-20191010-204343.jpg

It lets me set to a voltage mode but it doesn't give me an option to set values.

Any thoughts?

I did spread thermal paste manually now with a plastic plain pad. Nothing changed. Maybe got even worse by a degree or so.
And yes. Coolers heatsink isn't plain but doing this manually didn't give me any better results. So probably this whole spiking thing isn't an issue with paste application.

Also I've read somewhere this is completely normal before coming here... So idk..

How come you are at a loss? Can't you say its that is intended design or what? Forgive my cluelessness.

cpu.png

Last time I ran this test it was always at 100%.... "Stress test" (https://silver.urih.com/ )

cpu.png

I am at a loss because I've never seen that.

Hi

For testing I would use Cinebench R15, which my end pretty fast on a Ryzen 7 3700X, Blender, or Prime95.

You should avoid online stress test, just download any of those tools. Bender, for example, has two options, quick test and complete test, and it will use your cores the way a heavy work software will do, so is a decent tool to test "real" work load temps and voltage. Prime95 is a stress test, which does not reflect "real" app work load, but also a good option to get the max temps.

As for monitoring tools I use hwmonitor portable, since theres no need to install it, it has been getting updates for Ryzen since the day it launched and it will keep track of your MAX readings.

Ryzen 3xxx frecuency, voltage and temps have a tendency to jump all over the place on low loads (like while browsing, changing tabs, opening folders, etc.). AMD is working on trying to "relax" the jumping with every update they do to their microcode (which goes then into BIOS updates) and to Drivers.

Some questions:
  1. Did you made a clean install of Windows 10 after installing the new CPU?
  2. Are you using AGESA 1003 ABBA bios for your motherboard ?
  3. Did you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your chipset from AMD website ? (https://www.amd.com/en/support)
  4. Did you checked the power plan? It should be Ryzen Balanced Plan, and I would go tot he advanced menu and make sure the Minimum Processor state is set to 5% (AMD plan usually set it to 90%) (hwo to get there: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-power-management-windows)
  5. Have you tried to disable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) in BIOS ? Note: On my motherboard there was 3 options I need to disable.

Cheers!

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hi

For testing I would use Cinebench R15, which my end pretty fast on a Ryzen 7 3700X, Blender, or Prime95.

You should avoid online stress test, just download any of those tools. Bender, for example, has two options, quick test and complete test, and it will use your cores the way a heavy work software will do, so is a decent tool to test "real" work load temps and voltage. Prime95 is a stress test, which does not reflect "real" app work load, but also a good option to get the max temps.

As for monitoring tools I use hwmonitor portable, since theres no need to install it, it has been getting updates for Ryzen since the day it launched and it will keep track of your MAX readings.

Ryzen 3xxx frecuency, voltage and temps have a tendency to jump all over the place on low loads (like while browsing, changing tabs, opening folders, etc.). AMD is working on trying to "relax" the jumping with every update they do to their microcode (which goes then into BIOS updates) and to Drivers.

Some questions:
  1. Did you made a clean install of Windows 10 after installing the new CPU?
  2. Are you using AGESA 1003 ABBA bios for your motherboard ?
  3. Did you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your chipset from AMD website ? (https://www.amd.com/en/support)
  4. Did you checked the power plan? It should be Ryzen Balanced Plan, and I would go tot he advanced menu and make sure the Minimum Processor state is set to 5% (AMD plan usually set it to 90%) (hwo to get there: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-power-management-windows)
  5. Have you tried to disable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) in BIOS ? Note: On my motherboard there was 3 options I need to disable.
Cheers!

1. yes
  2. no. what am I missing out on? (Also for updating i need to put bios file into fat32 formatted usb, insert USB and find update option inside the bios?)
  3. I did that now yep.
  4. Nah, mine is automatically at 5%. https://i.postimg.cc/HkhwxpdH/power-plan.png
  5. That actually worked.
Big thanks for all those tips.
Turning off CPU Performance Boost in BIOS actually solved the shenanigans.
Temps are stable at 40 C.

Last edited:
  1. yes
  2. no. what am I missing out on? (Also for updating i need to put bios file into fat32 formatted usb, insert USB and find update option inside the bios?)
  3. I installed only App center and system information viewer from there. Cant install chipset drivers... More info below.
  4. Nah, mine is automatically at 5%. https://i.postimg.cc/HkhwxpdH/power-plan.png
  5. That actually worked.
Big thanks for all those tips.
Turning off CPU Performance Boost in BIOS actually solved the shenanigans.
Temps are stable at 40 C.

But I got another small issue: I cannot install chipset drivers.

I downloaded the 500 mb chipset rar file. Ran the 7z sfx exe. All stuff got unpacked and I got a bunch of folders with .exe files. Few of them give me same launchers, they install nothing happens. Then there is another that says "system configuration is not compatible for RAID drivers or applications installation". And I just installed all windows updates. I also double checked if I downloaded right drivers as well...

Help?

The lastest BIOS can be downloaded from Gigabyte website, make sure you donwload the right BIOS for the right motherboard, is not the same X570 Aorus Elite than X570 Aorus Elite Wifi. As of how to update it you could ask "google" (which seems to know everything), but I think there should be a Q-Flash utility (is the one my mobo has) and yes you need a pendrive (fat 32 formatted), download the file, unizpped, copy the contect to the pendrive (preferably inside a folder with a proper name) and follow the right procedure.

Also, my suggestion was about disable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), but you didn't do that:).

You actually disable Performance Boost "PB" which is AMD's Precision Boost, basically something like Intels Turbo Boost, and we want that ENABLE. Why, well cause if PB is disable your CPU will only work at the base frecuency, and never go beyond that.

If you wana know whats the diference between PBO, PB, PB 2.0, XFR and XFR 2.0 I suggest you look at the many videos and articles from internet:

https://community.amd.com/community...precision-boost-overdrive-in-three-easy-steps

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/the-amd-threadripper-2990wx-and-2950x-review/3

Precision Boost Overdrive and of XFR options should be inside Settings ->"AMD CBS" and thats all I can tell you since I don't have your same mobo.

Now, about the chipset drivers, I donwloaded the Windows 10 version for the B450 chipset driver for my mobo from AMD website, it was 1 small file around 50MB. If you have X570 chipset the donwload should be this one, also a 50MB file: https://www.amd.com/es/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570.

I almost forgot, that image you linked, it shows youre using Windows Balanced power plan, which is not bad, but, are you using that cause you don't see a Ryzen Balanced Plan option ? (https://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ryzen-windows10-custom-power-plan.png)

If you don't have the expertise to do some of this steps, or youre not 100% sure to know how, I strongly recommend you to ask for assistance to some friend or familly.

I hope you can work some of this out. Keep us updated!

Cheers

Last edited:

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
The lastest BIOS can be downloaded from Gigabyte website, make sure you donwload the right BIOS for the right motherboard, is not the same X570 Aorus Elite than X570 Aorus Elite Wifi. As of how to update it you could ask "google" (which seems to know everything), but I think there should be a Q-Flash utility (is the one my mobo has) and yes you need a pendrive (fat 32 formatted), download the file, unizpped, copy the contect to the pendrive (preferably inside a folder with a proper name) and follow the right procedure.

Also, my suggestion was about disable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), but you didn't do that:).

You actually disable Performance Boost "PB" which is AMD's Precision Boost, basically something like Intels Turbo Boost, and we want that ENABLE. Why, well cause if PB is disable your CPU will only work at the base frecuency, and never go beyond that.

If you wana know whats the diference between PBO, PB, PB 2.0, XFR and XFR 2.0 I suggest you look at the many videos and articles from internet:

https://community.amd.com/community...precision-boost-overdrive-in-three-easy-steps

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/the-amd-threadripper-2990wx-and-2950x-review/3

Precision Boost Overdrive and of XFR options should be inside Settings ->"AMD CBS" and thats all I can tell you since I don't have your same mobo.

Now, about the chipset drivers, I donwloaded the Windows 10 version for the B450 chipset driver for my mobo from AMD website, it was 1 small file around 50MB. If you have X570 chipset the donwload should be this one, also a 50MB file: https://www.amd.com/es/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570.

I almost forgot, that image you linked, it shows youre using Windows Balanced power plan, which is not bad, but, are you using that cause you don't see a Ryzen Balanced Plan option ? (https://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ryzen-windows10-custom-power-plan.png)

If you don't have the expertise to do some of this steps, or youre not 100% sure to know how, I strongly recommend you to ask for assistance to some friend or familly.

I hope you can work some of this out. Keep us updated!

Cheers

Ok so I turned Performance Boost back on and my temperatures and fan speed started jumping back and forth again when idling or opening apps. It even reaches higher temps for a second then what you get actually gaming. Game itself however, is running like 5 FPS smoother and temperatures are stable at 63C so far. As soon as I quit the game, temps start spiking.

I checked the power plan, it automatically set me on Ryzen Balanced now after chipset update. But yeah before I installed chipset it was just Windows balanced. However, now I had to change Ryzens power plan to min 5% CPU use like you said, but unfortunately, that didn't do anything in terms of temps.

Also I found XFR under "AMD CBS" in BIOS, I pressed "accept" on terms of use and got this:

https://i.postimg.cc/rpgj2z99/IMG-20191011-032838.jpg

I disabled them both ("Scalar" too, I suppose that's okay? Not sure what that second option means), they were on Auto.
But as I mentioned, temperatures are jumping again now. So there is that.

EDIT:
here are some screens of my bios:

This is entire AMD CBS menu: https://postimg.cc/F7f71WLp
This is XFR menu: https://postimg.cc/Sj1nSFJj
After pressing "accept" in XFR menu it turns into: https://postimg.cc/1gnwpm2g (which i already disabled)
CPU basic parameters shown here: https://postimg.cc/hhtJRP4H
This is the menu where I turned off Core Performance boost before and got low&stable temps:
https://postimg.cc/rdpmXfM5

So conclusion is that AMD's Precision boost is set to boost clocks even for simple tasks like opening applications and other background processes which as a result makes your CPU spike up its voltages and temperatures. Seems like a bad design to me. Boost should come into play when its CPU is at least 50% utilization and besides that give the cooler some rest.

Question now is if there are other options I can try in BIOS that would let us workaround this to have the precision boost active but used only under decent CPU load.

here is a short recording of how it looks:

https://files.fm/u/rv2hdeqg#/view/Rec+2019-10-11+13;39;52.mp4;play

Last edited:
Hi

First of all yes, those two options should be disable if you wana turn off XFR and PBO, but in my mobo there was 1 more option.

Can you upload a screenshot of the "Performance" submenu which is shown as the first option inside AMD CBS?

Also, you could try (probably wont change a thing but) to set the Power Supply Idle Contro to "Typical Current Idle"

Other than that, you could play with the power plans, maybe try again Windows Balanced one, and see if it now (with the new chipset drivers) works more relaxed than Ryzen Balanced Plan. But really that seems like a normal behavior for Ryzen, and AMD still working on relaxing those boost on low loads.

Another thing you can try is to go to BIOS and program your own FAN curve. First makke sure the "CPU Fan Control Mode" is on AUTO, and then Change "CPU FAN Control" (the first option from the screen you posted) to Manual (usually is in normal), by doing this what you wana try to do is to rise the curve dots up, so the fan does not spin up that much. (sorry english is not my main language and some things are harder to explain than others).
In short you want to do is raise the first 4 dots (shown in the pic you posted) and make it so the fan have higher RPMs at lower temps, you want to somehow "flatten" the curve.
For example if the first dot said CPU TEMP: 30°c -> Fan speed 20%, then you want to move the dot up in the vertical axis so it change to CPU temp: 30°C -> Fan speed 40%, and so on with the other 3 dots.

Note: if you find you can't raise one of the dots past to some point, then you may need to move the following dot up first.

I hope this make sense.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hi

First of all yes, those two options should be disable if you wana turn off XFR and PBO, but in my mobo there was 1 more option.

Can you upload a screenshot of the "Performance" submenu which is shown as the first option inside AMD CBS?

Also, you could try (probably wont change a thing but) to set the Power Supply Idle Contro to "Typical Current Idle"

Other than that, you could play with the power plans, maybe try again Windows Balanced one, and see if it now (with the new chipset drivers) works more relaxed than Ryzen Balanced Plan. But really that seems like a normal behavior for Ryzen, and AMD still working on relaxing those boost on low loads.

Another thing you can try is to go to BIOS and program your own FAN curve. First makke sure the "CPU Fan Control Mode" is on AUTO, and then Change "CPU FAN Control" (the first option from the screen you posted) to Manual (usually is in normal), by doing this what you wana try to do is to rise the curve dots up, so the fan does not spin up that much. (sorry english is not my main language and some things are harder to explain than others).
In short you want to do is raise the first 4 dots (shown in the pic you posted) and make it so the fan have higher RPMs at lower temps, you want to somehow "flatten" the curve.
For example if the first dot said CPU TEMP: 30°c -> Fan speed 20%, then you want to move the dot up in the vertical axis so it change to CPU temp: 30°C -> Fan speed 40%, and so on with the other 3 dots.

Note: if you find you can't raise one of the dots past to some point, then you may need to move the following dot up first.

I hope this make sense.

I downloaded the System Information Viewer software for adjusting fan curves so it doesn't bother me as much and I can change them without needing to go to bios...

Changing back and forth between power plans didn't do anything that would be noticeable.

Now i will go upload the bios screenshot for you. hold on.
Here you go:
https://i.postimg.cc/8krz31x6/IMG-20191011-143927.jpg

I see, and no, that one on the pic is not going to help.

Once you test the fan curve with that software you mention, I would try to set a similar fan curve in BIOS, Why?, well that way you have 1 less garbage software running.
In fact in order to reduce the temps and voltage spikes you should really uninstall every single utility that may have come with your mobo, or that you donwloaded from internet. Usually most users only need: Windows; drivers; steam+origin+etc+games; office; antivirus; adobe reader; productivity apps for work - if you use any -; 1 or 2 browsers; 7zip and thats basically all.

Everything else will only add more trash and noise to the background and that will potentially make your CPU work when it should be on idle state. Thats why I try to not install any utilities at all, specially those that start with Windows. If theres a choice I always pick the ones that I can download in a "portable file", examples: hwinfo portable, ccleaner portable, etc.

Anyways, maybe someone else will join this and have more ideas to help you.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
I see, and no, that one on the pic is not going to help.

Once you test the fan curve with that software you mention, I would try to set a similar fan curve in BIOS, Why?, well that way you have 1 less garbage software running.
In fact in order to reduce the temps and voltage spikes you should really uninstall every single utility that may have come with your mobo, or that you donwloaded from internet. Usually most users only need: Windows; drivers; steam+origin+etc+games; office; antivirus; adobe reader; productivity apps for work - if you use any -; 1 or 2 browsers; 7zip and thats basically all.

Everything else will only add more trash and noise to the background and that will potentially make your CPU work when it should be on idle state. Thats why I try to not install any utilities at all, specially those that start with Windows. If theres a choice I always pick the ones that I can download in a "portable file", examples: hwinfo portable, ccleaner portable, etc.

Anyways, maybe someone else will join this and have more ideas to help you.

Your idea sounds good.

Here are my non Microsoft services running:
https://i.postimg.cc/bN0QsfgM/non-ms-services.png

And the huge list of Microsoft ones:
https://i.postimg.cc/ZqWBPGPJ/ms-services.png

What can I turn off? :D