CPU TEMPS driving me crazy

TexaSean

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I think this has already been covered, but I really need to ask for myself. Im running Core Temp, and Speed Fan, Speed Fan tells me my CPU is BURNING UP at idle around 85C, yet Core Temp, tells me every single core is between 24C and 31C idle. Will someone please give me an idea? Maybe I need to apply new thermal paste to the cpu? Or is Speed Fan giving me maybe a number that equals to the amount of all the cores?

I7-2600K 3.40GHz
Corsair Watercooler, cant remember the wich one, built this 7 years ago.
My case is a NZXT Tempest Evo, so air flow is NOT my problem.
And ive got all my fans running 100%.

mwryder55

Distinguished
I have the same processor and HWMonitor shows my CPUTIN as 79 C and AUXTIN is around 61 C. My core temperatures are around 30 C. I don't know where the CPUTIN and AUXTIN sensors are or if the programs are correctly reading them but my computer runs fine. I have had the core temperatures hit 100 C when the cooling failed but that was the only time I ever noticed any throttling. Since I have had these readings since I bought the computer shortly after the chip was released I don't think the high readings are anything to be concerned about.

SPEEDFAN is often incorrect as it often guesses at which sensor is applicable but frequently is wrong.

CPUID's HWMonitor is the best tool to use.

*Avoid SPEEDFAN in general and either use the motherboard fan control software or if there is none see if the BIOS setup is good enough. Otherwise the AIO may have its own control or worst-case some 3rd party fan hardware may be needed.

And drop fan speeds down if not needed so CPU isn't regularly going over roughly 75degC.

TexaSean

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
As I sit here thinking about it, I may need to re apply my thermal paste, I put some new paste on the cpu about 2 weeks ago, and I did make a move that's bothered me ever since, I put the pump down on the cpu, moved it a little to far to the side, then lifted it up and put it back down, I have a feeling your not supposed to mash them together, then pick them up and back down, probably put air pockets in the paste?? That's my thinking anyways..
Im self taught and learn everything the hard way as I go. lol

That pic shows hwmonitor saying cpu is 36. Cputin is not the cpu. Notice it's under the mobo and many times those sensors can be ignored because they don't show correctly. But cputin is likely the vrm and 70 is fine as they run hotter than a cpu. I don't see anything wrong with temps.

TexaSean

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
OK now I under stand what I should be looking at, and speed fan is not to be trusted to judge my temps with. Thanks for helping ease my mind and clearing this up, I was just about to get ready to remove my pump and put on some fresh paste this afternoon, I can do some Gaming now instead. :)