CPU Temps Get EXTREMELY Hot Very Fast When Playing Games! Help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Whenever I play a game my CPU temps get really really hot super fast for some reason.. 80-90c hot!

The highest I've seen it go is 90 on 1 core and 85-ish on the other cores (it would have kept going up tho) and I was only playing a game for about 10 minutes on max settings!
SPECS:
Nvidia GTX 780 6GB
Intel Core I7 4790K
16gb ddr3 ram
Gigabyte Z97-HD3 mobo
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Zalman Z11 Plus case

PC is brand new so there's no dust. I'm using stock CPU and case fans with pre-applied thermal paste on the stock intel core i7 4790k fan. The CPU is at 4.00GHz and I haven't overclocked it.
Fans are all on and running. (there's about 6 stock fans in the Zalman Z11 plus case ranging from a small fan on each case door,2 in the center of the PC blowing in/out air, and a bigger fan (I think it's bigger) at the front,etc. The room is about normal temperature. The fans go really fast when the temps get high. GPU goes to about 60c,I'm guessing because of all the hot air the CPU is producing.

Can anyone tell me why? I just bought a 1500 euro PC and can't play any games because I'm afraid my PC will burst up into flames! (the games run fine tho..my prob is the heat)

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I use CPUID monitor to check my temps,although I've tried RealTemp

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I don't have a usb stick,will a CD work?
+ Could you link me a YouTube tutorial? :)

What is your motherboard revision number?

GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0)
Initial BIOS Version: F6
Core i7-4790K supported since BIOS Version F6

GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 1.0)
Initial BIOS Version: F3
Core i7-4790K supported since BIOS Version F5

Using a BIOS version that doesn't support the i7-4790K will result in a higher/incorrect Vcore being used. This will result in high CPU temperatures.

Use Q-Flash. It's the safest method. You can even place the BIOS image file on a hard disk drive. A USB flash drive is the preferred method.

I encountered the same temperature problem with my GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition when I installed an i7-4790K on it a couple of weeks ago. The motherboard came with an older BIOS version that didn't properly support the i7-4790K. I saw that the Vcore was running at much higher than the 1.252V that it is suppose to be running with under full CPU load. The latest BIOS version cured the temperature and voltage problem.

GIGABYTE_GA_Z97_HD3_UEFI_BIOS.png

GRUxTSAR

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

This thread is 3 weeks old. I think OP probably solved his problem