Question CPU temps go up 20 degrees watching YouTube

scandrews

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
My CPU has been running around 45 degrees at idle, or just web surfing, since I built the system. But over the past couple days, it jumps into the high 60s, and up to 70 degrees, just watching YouTube videos.

I'm running a Ryzen 5800x with an EK 360 AIO, on an MSI B550 Unify MB.

No overclocking on the CPU or GPU, everything at stock.

I went into the bios, and set all the fans and the pump to 100%, and even took off the front and side glass panels (Phanteks P500A), but nothing changed.

The AIO block is cool to the touch, and so is the radiator. When I hold the tubes, I can't tell if water is flowing, or if that's just from the front fans blowing over them.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

But over the past couple days, it jumps into the high 60s, and up to 70 degrees, just watching YouTube videos.

Have you confirmed that temps have NOT increased in the last few days for any task other than viewing Youtube?

Have you peeked at Task Manager while viewing Youtube videos in the last 2 days?

I'm not aware that viewing Youtube stuff is strenuous and have never noticed temp issues.

If the browser is set to CPU rendering it can make a big difference in CPU temp.
I have mine set to CPU decoding/rendering so it does not interfere with Folding.
So it is possible for the CPU to increase 10-20 when watching Youtube.
Or the video card does not have necessary dedicated hardware. Which can increase CPU usage.