[SOLVED] CPU temps high

FergyBoi

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
I was using my PC one day, and I noticed the temps on my CPU were around 85-100C on idle, I bought a new CPU and that didn't fix the issue, so I bought a new CPU cooler and that didn't fix the issue. right now I am getting around 70-90C on idle, but whenever I play a game or have more than a couple chrome tabs open, it jumps to over 100C!! if any of you have any ideas on why this is happening, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
70°C isn't bad. Understand that it's not just the cpu that's working hard to get fps, it's also the igpu under the same cooler working hard to put the graphics on screen. And many gpus will run 80°C when gaming.

Igpus were designed mainly for regular computing, video, etc. Games are anything but that. Your igpu is capable of 4k reproduction, you could watch a 4k video, but is far from capable of 4k gaming. Same applies to 1080p. It's going to struggle. Even on low settings.

The cpu shouldn't have many issues getting @ 60+ fps in CSGO, graphics settings are irrelevant for that, the only settings are things like grass details, viewing distance, lighting affects etc.

Check your ram usage total. If it's anywhere near 7Gb+ then Windows...

FergyBoi

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
I just downloaded HWInfo and used it to check my temps, It said about 70c so that's a little lower than Speccy. Keep in mind I wasn't idle while doing this test so it may be in the 60s on idle. The reason why I went and checked my temps on Speccy in the first place was because my games were performing poorly. In CS:GO I would get 25-35 FPS, all-low 1920x1080.
And just for general use, things took a long time to load.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well fps is upto the cpu as to the actual limit, the gpu either lives upto that limit or fails, depending on your settings.

So in CSGO if getting 30fps avg. on low and you raise the settings, and fps tanks, it's a gpu issue somehow. If you raise it and get the same fps, then it's on the cpu that's maxed as the gpu setting makes no real difference.

Both can be affected by ram and even the psu. If using the A8's igpu, ram speeds are very important as the igpu will use system ram as vram. If your ram amount is too small, some will be allocated by pagefile to storage and if that's a hdd, your fps will tank hard.

FergyBoi

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
Ohhhh interesting. so RAM really effects gaming performance for IGPU?
I don't have alot of RAM haha some random trashy ddr3 8gb

so as a matter of fact when I first got the CPU Cooler, I accidently mounted it improperly, and was getting 25-35 FPS. but then when I remounted it properly the next time, the FPS went up to 40-70. so the CPU is heavily bottlenecking if I'm not mistaken. but you're the expert. what do you think?

still any idea why the temps are bad?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
70°C isn't bad. Understand that it's not just the cpu that's working hard to get fps, it's also the igpu under the same cooler working hard to put the graphics on screen. And many gpus will run 80°C when gaming.

Igpus were designed mainly for regular computing, video, etc. Games are anything but that. Your igpu is capable of 4k reproduction, you could watch a 4k video, but is far from capable of 4k gaming. Same applies to 1080p. It's going to struggle. Even on low settings.

The cpu shouldn't have many issues getting @ 60+ fps in CSGO, graphics settings are irrelevant for that, the only settings are things like grass details, viewing distance, lighting affects etc.

Check your ram usage total. If it's anywhere near 7Gb+ then Windows will be pagefiling your game, and fps will bottom out. Malware, Trojans even the igpu power settings affect how much ram is available for use by the igpu.

Solution