[SOLVED] CPU temps hotter after top mounting aio

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
Hey guys I just got a 4000x by Corsair and I too mounted my aio before I did that I had a front mounted h510 and I was getting about 59c max when running cinabench on multi core now when I top mounted my aio I noticed I get like 67
Screenshot_20210101-005716.png

Solution
I don't really see a problem, but:
-Yes, while the H500 series didn't have high airflow potential, I don't think you helped things much moving from a chassis with restricted intake and exhaust to one with a restricted front.
-I see that the front stock fans may be a little lacking for more extreme scenarios, such as Cinebench - according to this review.
-When the hybrid cooler was in the front of the H500, it was getting air from your room passing through it. Here, the air passing through it is already warmed up. The air moving around inside is ALWAYS warmer than outside.

That's what it looks like to me. I might be wrong about that 1st point though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't really see a problem, but:
-Yes, while the H500 series didn't have high airflow potential, I don't think you helped things much moving from a chassis with restricted intake and exhaust to one with a restricted front.
-I see that the front stock fans may be a little lacking for more extreme scenarios, such as Cinebench - according to this review.
-When the hybrid cooler was in the front of the H500, it was getting air from your room passing through it. Here, the air passing through it is already warmed up. The air moving around inside is ALWAYS warmer than outside.

That's what it looks like to me. I might be wrong about that 1st point though.

Solution
@Prad_Bitt
It's because we, as the consumers, have been the ones demanding them.
Obviously, not all of us are, but enough to where the trend still hasn't died out.
LOL I bet tons of first time builders like me would go for a hotbox because "Corsair". I wish I would've known Lian Li was gonna release the L2Mesh in my country a month after I built this. I couldn't use it because of PSU issues for a month anyway :")

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For years nobody did lighting in pc's. Then ppl started adding the cathode tubes, so case makers started adding 'windowed' sides. Then leds hit the market and everybody had led fans. Demand for changeable colors made rgb and argb popular. So now case manufacturers made cases with rgb lighted fans. Then tempered glass hit and everything now has rgb, just to 'keep up with the Jones'. Noctua is the Only exception.

As ppl demand more fancy stuff, that's what's going to sell. A pc built for performance is going to be somewhat different than a pc built for looks.
Current craze in cases is modularity, but ppl still want fancy TG and RGB. So your cases end up being $100+ for a box to hold components with glass sides and looking like Unicorn Vomit.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I remember someone got on my butt for having a 'dull PC'. It was probably a troll, no telling with Youtube these days.

I told them that my chassis isn't even in my line of sight most of the time, so what use is all the LED and other aesthetic stuff, if not distracting?

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
I remember someone got on my butt for having a 'dull PC'. It was probably a troll, no telling with Youtube these days.

I told them that my chassis isn't even in my line of sight most of the time, so what use is all the LED and other aesthetic stuff, if not distracting?
Well to each their own. But most people don't understand that. I like rgb, but not too bright, my fans are on medium light level, and just a blue/pink transition. And only 2 140mm front fans have rgb, the rest are non rgb or turned off lol, even my mobo lights are turned off. It looks pretty but not so much that it becomes distracting or obnoxious. I hate bright light unless it's outdoors. I guess it's about finding the right balance, which is subjective.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With a top mounted rad, usually the only way the pump will retain any air is if the tubing ports are facing straight down. And there's usually some gurgling noise going on. But it's possible. With sideways. Impossible if the ports face upwards.

Grab the pc, set some good sized books under the back feet. Then slowly lift the front of the pc until the front is now the top. The books are there for cable clearance as the pc will be facing up, cables down.

Hold that there for a minute, then slowly lower the case back to normal position.

Do this with the pc running.

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
ok thank you also i see you guya talking about the case being a hot box but honestly the air flow is amazing especially compared to my h510 and probably better when my 4000d airflow front panel comes in

D

Deleted member 1560910

The added temp is caused by the GPU heat being exhausted through the Rad. I stopped doing AIO on the top of the case because of this. I bought a case which supports front AIO cooler Also alot of these new style case dont provide good front air flow. Im

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The H150i actually has decent airflow, as long as you do not use front intake fans, just rely on the 2x exhaust.

Hotbox is something of a misnomer. Any case can be a Hotbox, even ones with excellent airflow characteristics. It's all a matter of what's creating the heat, the workload resulting in heat and the equipment to deal with it.

A 9900k with a full workload and a front mounted 240mm AIO with a R9 290x blasting away is going to be a desktop mounted toaster. You could wall mount it using a free sided case like the TT P1 and it'd still be nothing but a wall mounted toaster.

Airflow is far mor important than airflow temp, the inside of any case isn't going to reach anywhere near the cpu/gpu temps, what's needed is an adequate pathway where cooler air comes in, warmer air goes out, and as little as possible impediments to that process.

The ordered mesh front will increase airflow possibility, but what you'll generally find happening is the fans will be spinning slower than with the TG front, because they are governed by the temp sensor on the mobo. The less air moved across that sensor, the warmer that area is, the faster it'll spin the fans to compensate. End result is going to be roughly the same temps, just noisier fans than with the mesh.

You'll only benefit from the increased airflow possible, if you change fan curve settings manually, to increase fan rpm at the lower temp rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedy_H05