[SOLVED] Cpu temps increasing steadily

SS18

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
Hello guys
My pc is a bit old, here is specs
I7 3770k, asrock extreme6 z77, 8 gb corsair ram, GTX 660ti, corsair h100i all in one cooler
My pc was fine till a couple of months ago, when it started overheating
If booting temp was for example 35 celsius, if I check in the bios interface temp meter, the temperature would rise by 5 degree ( very weird - exact 5 degree increase ) steadily upto 90 and beyond, then I switch off the pc immediately. My asrock motherboard had 1 or 2 bent pins.
My cooler has led display which otherwise is yellow but it then becomes red as temps in bios meter shows 80+ degrees celsius, so I was convinced it wasn't bios error that showed the 5 degree increase in temp
Then I ordered a z77 motherboard from Ali express, as I read somewhere that bent pin can cause overheating and damage, new mobo was asus p8z77-v lx2
I connected everything, wiped off old paste from cpu, properly applied new paste
Now after pressing boot switch, my monitor shows "power saving mode", while my computer does run ( gfx card fan, cooler fan chassis fans all run ) as I hear running sound, and worst of all I still have the overheating problem, I can no longer see temp reading from bios but I can see, after 1 minute, the led light on cpu cooler turn red, which indicates overheating
I am totally lost on what to do now.
Have replaced motherboard ( it is hard to procure old 3rd generation z77 Mobo ) thinking bent pins caused this overheating.
Now new mobo still has same issue and on top of that monitor does not show anything and goes into power saving mode
Is it cooler issue? Or is it ram. I am totally lost

Solution
Thank you for the reply :D
Can u pls tell me what u mean by cooler pins? Mines corsair h100i
There was a plastic black holder thing which came with it, which is supposed to go behind the motherboard, then four long screws are tightened onto this plastic holder thing from the other side, and then the heatsink part of cooler is screwed into these long screws.

I bought this cooler on October 15, 2015. So almost 4 and a half years.

What do you suggest I do? Is it the cooler at fault?
I bought a new z77 Mobo ( z77 Mobo is hard to find trust me ), thinking it was the bent pins of my old Mobo which was causing the issue, now with new mobo, same overheating + no display to monitor.
The cooler pins are where you connect the cooler to...

SS18

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
Have you considered starting afresh - getting a modern setup (AMD ryzen 3600X)
I don't have the budget now, if I had budget, I obviously would have gone that route.
Can you help with the issue
P.s. i will get negligible resale value from my current setup, since it's a couple years old so selling it is also not an option

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello, ive had this issue back then. It's usually the cooler fault. It's usually but not 100% so i'd suggest you look into the cooler first. Now i had the same thing. Cool temp at boot then cpu temps slowly skyrocket. First of all, make sure the cooler pin is connected correctly. Read up the motherboard manuals and it's very important that it's connected right. I spent hours. Repasting reseating until i realised i plugged the pins at the wrong location. Okay if it's still the same after making sure, how long have you used the aio? The second time i had cpu temps issue was with the aio. Apparently i got bubbles trapped inside. I read that aio is harder to be cleaned as you have to take them apart. I just slammed the top of my pc case where the fans of the aio was connected after spending hours undervolting or trying to fix my cpu temps. After slamming it, my cpu temps improved a lot. Im talking 90C underload and loud ass fans to 60C with no audible fans

Reactions: SS18

SS18

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
Hello, ive had this issue back then. It's usually the cooler fault. It's usually but not 100% so i'd suggest you look into the cooler first. Now i had the same thing. Cool temp at boot then cpu temps slowly skyrocket. First of all, make sure the cooler pin is connected correctly. Read up the motherboard manuals and it's very important that it's connected right. I spent hours. Repasting reseating until i realised i plugged the pins at the wrong location. Okay if it's still the same after making sure, how long have you used the aio? The second time i had cpu temps issue was with the aio. Apparently i got bubbles trapped inside. I read that aio is harder to be cleaned as you have to take them apart. I just slammed the top of my pc case where the fans of the aio was connected after spending hours undervolting or trying to fix my cpu temps. After slamming it, my cpu temps improved a lot. Im talking 90C underload and loud ass fans to 60C with no audible fans
There was a plastic black holder thing which came with it, which is supposed to go behind the motherboard, then four long screws are tightened onto this plastic holder thing from the other side, and then the heatsink part of cooler is screwed into these long screws.

I bought a new z77 Mobo ( z77 Mobo is hard to find trust me ), thinking it was the bent pins of my old Mobo which was causing the issue, now with new mobo, same overheating + no display to monitor.

poorbugger

Distinguished

The cooler pins are where you connect the cooler to the motherboard. Make sure you connect to the right header on the motherboard.

Reactions: SS18
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The pumps on AIOs will become clogged or break down over time. 4 1/2 years is a good run with a unit like that.
It's likely time to replace it. Keep the fans and toss the rest out.

While the PC is running, feel the cpu block, tubing and radiator. If there is a flow issue, the heat will be concentrated in the cpu block.

Reactions: RodroX and SS18

SS18

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
The pumps on AIOs will become clogged or break down over time. 4 1/2 years is a good run with a unit like that.
It's likely time to replace it. Keep the fans and toss the rest out.

While the PC is running, feel the cpu block, tubing and radiator. If there is a flow issue, the heat will be concentrated in the cpu block.
Thank you. I have decided to replace the cooler since am convinced the issue is with the cooler.
Can you pls help with the monitor issue?
My old Mobo was asrock extreme6 z77, on that, apart from bent pins I had this overheating problem only, but after I bought another mobo - asus p8z77-v lx2, now with this, I have overheating and monitor shows "power saving mode" and does not show anything, but pc running sounds is there, just monitor not showing anything.
I cannot revert to old Mobo now as I have the Midas touch and have broken off the pin which was bent, while trying to fix it.
Is it bios issue? Could it be monitor?

SS18

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
-Turn the monitor off
-Disconnect every cable (including the power cable) from the rear and side of the monitor
-Press the monitor power button in for 10 seconds
-Reconnect the power cable and a single video cable to the monitor and retest
I tried this and still nothing positive.
I read somewhere that with new motherboard, post might take upto 10 minutes or so.
Is this true?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I read somewhere that with new motherboard, post might take upto 10 minutes or so.
Is this true?
What? No!
But you would have to reinstall Windows to flush out the old drivers and registry files, so that would initially require some waiting.

But a 10 minute post? I could attribute that to: storage overheating, storage with numerous bad sectors, infected storage, or just way too many startup programs...

Reactions: RodroX

SS18

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
What? No!
But you would have to reinstall Windows to flush out the old drivers and registry files, so that would initially require some waiting.

But a 10 minute post? I could attribute that to: storage overheating, storage with numerous bad sectors, infected storage, or just way too many startup programs...
Hello.. it was ram slot error. The ram slot I placed ram in was dead I think, changed it to another slot and it booted up
Now I cannot boot up the computer, as it is showing cpu fan error, what does this mean?