[SOLVED] cpu temps keep rising

Apr 3, 2022
hi I'm currently running a i9 10900 with a msi 280 aio and for some reason my temps keep rising I was using artic silver but changed to kryonaut to try and solve the problem but to no avail this is what's happening I was getting temps hitting 100 deg so I reapplied the paste using the pea method and they dropped to around 73-78 deg whilst gaming but over a space of 3-4 weeks it gradually rises back up to 100 so I tried again and the same happened dropped instantly then rose again over time so to rule out the paste I switched to kryonaut and exactly the same thing happened I'm scratching my head here it's driving me nuts !

Solution
Waterblock work better with pressure. Tightening in an X pattern until the screws stop is exactly what you should be doing, that's the correct procedure for that head. You aren't doing anything wrong in that.

Temp differences in the piping should only be @ 2-3°C at most between input and output, if there's a noticeable difference then the coolant isn't flowing fast enough and is picking up too much heat in one spot. That's what's allowing cpu temps to rise, coolant spending too long in the rad and too long in the head. You have a blockage somewhere or a very ineffective pump not moving the coolant with any volume.

It's a common failing with the MSI AIO's. RMA if you can, but unless MSI has done something to rectify the causes and...
Apr 3, 2022
it's an msi mid size case with three 1400 rpm fans at the front with one exhaust at the rear my aio rad is exhausting out of the top with a push setup my pump seems to be running a constant 4400 rpm and my fan curve is set to full throttle at 63 deg so it kicks in before the temps get to high

TEKN0iD

Prominent
Jun 13, 2020
I wonder if your CPU cooler is on too tight?
Just a solid and firm hold and not tightened to the max.

Which mid-case specifically and any overclock on the CPU?

Apr 3, 2022
I do have a tendency to turn the screws till they stop so ill refit it today with a looser fit and report back with my findings perhaps this will resolve the whole over tightening argument if that doesn't work I will switch out my aoi as their cheap enough to replace either way it's got to be one or the other I assume

msi 280 aio
which model specifically?
over the last couple years i've seen a lot of reports of the CORELIQUID series' pumps failing.

not just MSI's actually,
it seems the majority of theses types of AIO with the pump built-in to the radiator have seen a large % of failures.
will switch out my aoi as their cheap enough
contacting MSI should get you a replacement.

I'm going to change it to be on the safe side
if it's still under warranty get a replacement through MSI anyway and just sell it.
no need to waste the money put down.
any decent cooler should come with a 1-3 year warranty.
would you choose
i would say minimum 280mm.

the Kraken series are pretty nice and include some pretty nice fans;
30 CFM @ 500RPM - 98 @ 1800RPM is a good amount of air pressure.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022
just opened her up one pipe is hot and one cold running cod as well so its hotter and more noticeable could only feel a slight difference on idle i can feel a clicking when holding the hot one also

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Waterblock work better with pressure. Tightening in an X pattern until the screws stop is exactly what you should be doing, that's the correct procedure for that head. You aren't doing anything wrong in that.

Temp differences in the piping should only be @ 2-3°C at most between input and output, if there's a noticeable difference then the coolant isn't flowing fast enough and is picking up too much heat in one spot. That's what's allowing cpu temps to rise, coolant spending too long in the rad and too long in the head. You have a blockage somewhere or a very ineffective pump not moving the coolant with any volume.

It's a common failing with the MSI AIO's. RMA if you can, but unless MSI has done something to rectify the causes and changed something to prevent the results, then you will most likely be repeating the procedure in the near future. Something to be aware of, will give you time to shop for a better alternative.

Solution
Apr 3, 2022
Get this then I emailed msi to tell them and they gave me a link to apply for a replacement and guess what they have a dedicated page for it because there's so many of them faulty and askes for the serial number to verify but mine did not qualify which leads me to believe that the problem hasn't been sorted so when I do get a new one under warranty it will be going straight on ebay got a new one coming from overclockers in the morning

Apr 3, 2022
ok well my new cooler turned up it wouldn't fit up top because my motherboard was in the way so I did a front mount and what a difference my temps on cinebench are maxing out at 65 deg and whilst gaming I'm averaging 49 deg with a max of 56 deg I altered my fan curve on my gpu also which brought down my memory temps by almost 25 deg to 70 deg I was maxing out at 95 on that which I didn't like even though it's apparently normal gonna change my case fans next up to 140mm to try and bring it down a bit more thankyou everyone for all your help it's much appreciated.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Look at HWInfo64 (sensors only) , when gaming look at All the temps simultaneously, see where small changes to fan curves in intake vs exhaust can change case/motherboard gpu temps. When airflow with a push-pull case is lopsided, airflow as a result slows down or goes too fast. Both let temps rise as one is heat saturated and the other heat starved.

A 100rpm difference either way can add several °C to certain components, but at the same time take several °C away from another. The trick is to balance the flow to get the best even results from both.

TRENDING THREADS