CPU temps not right bad BIOS.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hello,

Bare with me here, a bit of a story, but I'll try to keep it short. i7-6700K, Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 and Corsair H100i GTX. So I updated to BIOS ver. F20, turned out it had a bug that messed up the vcore voltage and temps were getting out of control, I was hitting 100C at one point. Managed to implement some voltage offsets that helped.

4 Months later, version F21. Finally the issue is fixed, or at least seems that way. I still had heat issues. Turned out the OEM paste that came with my corsair closed loop liquid cooling system turned to clay. I had spare Arctic Silver 5 that had been laying around for at least 5 years. Put that on, temps were now back to normal.

Now as time goes on, my idle temps keep getting worse again, and I start hitting into the 80C when gaming sometimes (normal would only hit 70C and would be in 65C area). I re-applied thermal paste again, temps went back to normal again for a few days, but again my idles are now climbing and max temps are spiking to 80C-90C web browsing.

I thought maybe it was the thermal paste being old and laying around for so long. So I bought new thermal paste (more Arctic Silver 5), but it seems to be doing the same thing. Temps normalize for a few days and then temps start climbing again and I'm spiking 80C-90C.

I'm not sure why this keeps happening, and why it normalizes for a few days each time I apply fresh thermal paste. Is my processor just messed up from the high temps now?

Any ideas or suggestions on how to further troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

None of this started happening until that BIOS bug in F20 happened... I wonder if it could have screwed up my cooler... I was considering if getting new thermal paste didn't fix it, I'd try just picking up a CoolerMaster 212 EVO and see if that made it better. Since they aren't too badly priced and a good way to rule out cooler or not.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Hmmm.... now I'm wondering if I should by another closed loop liquid cooler or an air cooled. Could there be a potential that the issue wouldn't happen with an air cooled and then I go to buy another liquid cooler to only end up having the same issue if it turns out my motherboard is now having issues working with water pumps?

Although corsair link looks like its reading the same when in Windows as it did before this F20 business, but the Smart Fan 5 in my BIOS reads weird..

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

I would, but it specifically says not to go back after F20 because of the code update for Kaby Lake. Also, I wasn't able to get it to read my EVO 960 NVMe drive til I update, which was part of the reason I did in the first place :/

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Well, its looking like you are correct... I put in a 120MM AIO liquid cooler I had in my HTPC downstairs... didn't really want to take it apart to test this... but ended up doing it. So far temps are acting a lot more stable. I"ll give it another day or two, as usually temps start getting really out of control in 2-3 days.

Latest posts