[SOLVED] CPU temps questions

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Considering either purchasing Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 7 5800x.

There is a good discount now on amazon on the 5800x which allows me to get it at the same price as the 3700x. My only concern is my current cpu cooler which i don't want to have to change. I think it only allows for 65W temps. Which is the spec of the 3700x while the 5800x is supposed to run at 105W. I've heard you can change a few numbers and fix/undervolt the 5800x for temps to be less hot:

"I changed 3 numbers and fixed the hot 5800x issues. Was very easy and only took 5 minutes. Stock voltage is too high. Change PPT to 120, TDC to 75, and EDC to 110. Great balance. Boosts to 4.5Ghz and stays under 80C under full load."

But I still don't know if it's wise to get something that will run at 80C when my cooler is only rated for 95W TDP. The baseplate of my cooler is apparently copper so i guess i can use liquid metal instead of normal paste which would help i guess.

Another good thing is that I won't be doing anything very cpu intensive. Mostly gaming, so I won't push it to its limits. So, I guess it could go well. But I don't know.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
Oh right nevermind, this gen they didn't include a cooler with every CPU like they did during the 2000 series.
Only the 5600X gets one.

5800X does have a reputation for being a hot CPU but that's pretty typical of all modern high-end processors. It will tend to run as hot as 90C too and that's by design. But if you can keep it under 80C it will hit higher clocks while transcoding videos.

It can be like overclocking putting it under an extremely good cooler. But there's a limit to how well it can be cooled, a problem of the small die that doesn't easily transfer heat to the heat spreader.

I've got both a 5800X and 3700X and I can say the 5800X is clearly the faster CPU, no doubt about it.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
The 5800x is a notoriously hot running cpu which will need adequate cooling, it's something you shouldnt cheap out on.
Ok. By the way, I just realized that my question is useless, because I think the CPU comes with its own cooler which will be rated for it ofc. So, I guess I don't have to worry about. So, my choice now is only, do i keep same cooler and go for 3700x or do i purchase 5800x and use the included cooler.... Any thoughts on those two cpus?

Ok. By the way, I just realized that my question is useless, because I think the CPU comes with its own cooler which will be rated for it ofc. So, I guess I don't have to worry about. So, my choice now is only, do i keep same cooler and go for 3700x or do i purchase 5800x and use the included cooler.... Any thoughts on those two cpus?
I dont believe the 5800X comes with a cooler? It is the better cpu of the two though and will need a decent cooler.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Oh right nevermind, this gen they didn't include a cooler with every CPU like they did during the 2000 series.
Only the 5600X gets one.

5800X does have a reputation for being a hot CPU but that's pretty typical of all modern high-end processors. It will tend to run as hot as 90C too and that's by design. But if you can keep it under 80C it will hit higher clocks while transcoding videos.

It can be like overclocking putting it under an extremely good cooler. But there's a limit to how well it can be cooled, a problem of the small die that doesn't easily transfer heat to the heat spreader.

I've got both a 5800X and 3700X and I can say the 5800X is clearly the faster CPU, no doubt about it.

Solution