CPU Temps Soar After Cleaning

flaskmaster

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
I recently performed some basic cleaning on my home PC. Here are the specs:

AMD FX 8350
MSI 970 Gaming Mobo
LEPA AquaChanger 240 Liquid Radiator

I took apart the system for routine dust cleaning, and in doing so I noticed that one of the 120mm fans on the radiator wasn't any good (the other was fine, so I replaced it with a Best Buy one.) I took the block off of the CPU, cleaned both the CPU and block with polish remover, and added a rice-size bead of thermal paste to the system and re-installed it. After re-installing all components I booted up the system, and let my kid play on it for awhile. After a few minutes he told me the system shut down.

Checking the MSI on-board specs, I noticed that the CPU temp would spike to 91C and then shut down. I checked with LEPA, and unfortunately it's out of warranty. As far as I can tell, I think the CPU water block is powering up just fine, the lights come on on the LEPA, and I think i feel the motor going, but I'm not sure what diagnostics I can perform to make sure. All the other fans run just fine.

Franklin_4

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
i would start from step one again. take it all apart, re-apply your thermal paste. this is sounding like an air bubble in your paste to me. also, make sure all your fans are pushing in the proper direction. is there any way you can isolate your water pump to make sure its working?

flaskmaster

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Franklin_4: I will try re-applying the paste a 2nd time, to see what happens. Maybe I'll pick up some Arctic paste, as the brand I'm using is LEPA and came with the pump. When powering on the system I do see the lights turn on on the CPU water block, I'm wondering if I can remove the CPU to keep it from overheating, but leave the block plugged into the CPU fan to try and "feel" the pump vibrate.

RobCrezz: I have the pump plugged in, as I can see the lights turn on the CPU water block.

uguv

Distinguished

I agree that if the pump is working it's probably not mounted securely. Bad thermal paste application is not likely to cause a CPU to shut down.

flaskmaster

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
It's been plugged into the same CPU Fan header since I installed it 2 years ago. Here's my plan for tonight (I'm at work now)

I'll remove the CPU and plug the block into the CPU fan to see if I can feel the block motor kick in.
If that seems OK I'll put the CPU back into place, clean and re-apply thermal paste and reinstall the unit, then I'll go back into the MSI system and monitor the temp.
If nothing else works I have a new one being shipped to me by Friday.

When the system was heating up, the lights powered up on the water block, but the output hose was heating up, which I was hoping an air bubble somehow got involved. Being it's a closed system, it was worth a shot.

flaskmaster

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
UPDATE: I cleaned and re-applied thermal paste to the system, and set the radiator purposely outside and below the water block, thinking that the pump was starting to go. For about 30 minutes the system stayed at around 30C. I then moved the radiator ABOVE the water block, and that's when the temperatures started going up to 60C or so for awhile, then back up to 93C and the system shut off. So in my opinion it's either the water block motor or it's not seated correctly.

I did notice that when I pushed the water block and held it tightly on the CPU, the temps would go down a few degrees. The system came with plastic spacers and bolts that would prevent over-tightening. I'm wondering if the mounting bracket just isn't doing it's job anymore either.

TRENDING THREADS