[SOLVED] CPU temps spike to 200 deg F upon booting to Windows

Dec 21, 2021
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping someone can help me narrow down my PC’s issue.
Recently, my PC has been abruptly shutting down when booting up Windows. It all started when I was in the middle of playing a videogame. I started losing frames, then the PC suddenly shut down in the middle of a game. Afterwards, I tried to turn it back on again. I was able to make it all the way back to the Windows desktop before it shut down again.
Then, I tried booting to the BIOS. In the BIOS, the PC did not shut off and everything seemed fine. However, I did notice that the CPU was at ~70 deg Celsius. I exited the BIOS and booted to Windows and again it shut off as soon as I logged in.
The next day, I tried to boot up my PC and I was able to stay on the Windows desktop long enough to take some temps. I saw that my CPU was already at ~90 deg Celsius, but the task manager was reporting that the CPU was not under any significant load (<10% for the CPU usage).
What could have happened to my CPU? Is it an issue with the water cooler? Do I need to replace the CPU or water cooler or maybe both.
Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • ASRock X570 Pro4
  • Cooler Master ML240L RGB
  • RTX 3070
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi everyone,
Recently, my PC has been abruptly shutting down when booting up Windows. It all started when I was in the middle of playing a videogame. I started losing frames, then the PC suddenly shut down in the middle of a game. Afterwards, I tried to turn it back on again. I was able to make it all the way back to the Windows desktop before it shut down again.
Then, I tried booting to the BIOS. In the BIOS, the PC did not shut off and everything seemed fine. However, I did notice that the CPU was at ~70 deg Celsius. I exited the BIOS and booted to Windows and again it shut off as soon as I logged in.
The next day, I tried to boot up my PC and I was able to stay on the...
Hi everyone,
The next day, I tried to boot up my PC and I was able to stay on the Windows desktop long enough to take some temps. I saw that my CPU was already at ~90 deg Celsius, but the task manager was reporting that the CPU was not under any significant load (<10% for the CPU usage).
What could have happened to my CPU? Is it an issue with the water cooler? Do I need to replace the CPU or water cooler or maybe both.
Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • ASRock X570 Pro4
  • Cooler Master ML240L RGB
  • RTX 3070
Thanks in advance!
It's way too hot. Definitely check the water block mounting on your CPU...probably remove it and check/replace the thermal paste is a good idea too.

CM's AIO's use the plastic clip furnished with the motherboard. Those can sometimes develop a fatigue crack that opens up in use so check for that. And make sure the screws that attach the clips to the backplate are firmly tightened and, as well, the thumb screws that attach the water block to the clip are also tight.

How and where is the radiator mounted in the case? At least one tank should be above the water block so that the pump doesn't end up sucking on air.

Solution

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Fuma 2. I see a lot of posts here for water cooling, I understand Pros/cons. I have built my fair share of PC's and never had a CPU fan fail. If it does fail its a cheap fix. The heatsink never goes bad lol.

If your not crazy overclocking, I think a fuma 2 is a good cooler for the large majority of chips on the market today. It will be great on a 3700x