[SOLVED] CPU temps spiking from 65°C (idle) to 95+°C (gaming)

Jan 8, 2021
Hello! I'll make this brief as possible.

CPU temps spiking from 65°C (idle) to 95+°C (gaming)

The temperature spiking causes frame drops on GTA V and Need For Speed 2012. It also causes lag when i move the camera around on GTA V

My casing is Keytech T850

I did not put any aftermarket cooling yet, just the stock intel fan and I just opened both side panels and have the electric fan on level 2 focus on it.

My question; is what I did enough? just opening both side panels and just depending on the electric fan? or I just have a faulty CPU or motherboard. What should I do?

SPECS:
Core i5 2300
Mobo DH61WW
GTX 750 ti
8gb RAM

[The original post did not contain any indication that there was a stock Intel fan installed. It is extremely bad form to change crucial information within a post without any kind of notification, both because it results in you getting worse advice and not the least, it makes the people who relied on correct information when giving an answer look like they don't know what they're talking about even though they did. -DS]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
There is only one thing you can do. Remove the cooler, clean the thermal compound, correctly install new thermal compound and reinstall the cooler. IF the cooler can "wiggle" after you clean and reinstall, the mounting system has failed an you have to replace the cooler.

No. There's only one worthwhile thing to do. Scrap the stock cooler altogether. Don't even try to bad-aid that old thing. Intel had several stock designs for different TDP levels back then and there's no mention of whether that's the original stock cooler or one that was laying around extra, that stands a good chance of not being correctly sized for the cpu. And the fan is how old and will last how much longer?

All the stock coolers Intel included for...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello! I'll make this brief as possible.

CPU temps spiking from 65°C (idle) to 95+°C (gaming)

The temperature spiking causes frame drops on GTA V and Need For Speed 2012. It also causes lag when i move the camera around on GTA V

My casing is Keytech T850

I did not put any cooling yet, I just opened both side panels and have the electric fan on level 2 focus on it.

My question; is what I did enough? just opening both side panels and just depending on the electric fan? or I just have a faulty CPU or motherboard. What should I do?

SPECS:
Core i5 2300
Mobo DH61WW
GTX 750 ti
8gb RAM
Your problem is "I did not put any cooling yet". It is not "spiking". You are running in an improper configuration. Your usage is the only thing that is faulty.

kanewolf

Titan
it's in 99°C with just google chrome and facebook video call
You have been given the only possible answer. Install a proper CPU cooler. Without one, it doesn't matter what software is running, the CPU will overheat. You are trying to use the surface area of the top of the CPU for cooling. A CPU cooler has 10X the surface area. That is what is required, spreading the heat over a MUCH greater surface.

kanewolf

Titan
I see the original post is a bit different now.
There is a stock Intel cooler on there.
I would make sure the cooler is snug.
Did you use thermal paste?
I would also go into the BIOS and see what adjustments I could make to the fan curve.
Yes, since I quoted the original, I can see that the OP has changed their story... A 2xxx CPU is about 10 years old. That means the plastic pins in an Intel cooler are also about 10 years old. High probability that the plastic has failed somewhere.

Jan 8, 2021
it's in 99°C with just google chrome and facebook video call
You have been given the only possible answer. Install a proper CPU cooler. Without one, it doesn't matter what software is running, the CPU will overheat. You are trying to use the surface area of the top of the CPU for cooling. A CPU cooler has 10X the surface area. That is what is required, spreading the heat over a MUCH greater surface.

I forgot to tell you that I have an intel stock fan for the cpu

kanewolf

Titan
I forgot to tell you that I have an intel stock fan for the cpu
That is correct, your first post just said you had the side panels off. You did not mention ANY cooler and ever your first response was "what should I do", not "I have the Intel cooler that came with the CPU installed" ...
With your "updated" information, it is most likely a cooler mounting failure. Those coolers used plastic in the mounting hardware. It has most likely failed.

Jan 8, 2021
That is correct, your first post just said you had the side panels off. You did not mention ANY cooler and ever your first response was "what should I do", not "I have the Intel cooler that came with the CPU installed" ...
With your "updated" information, it is most likely a cooler mounting failure. Those coolers used plastic in the mounting hardware. It has most likely failed.

The electric fan just won't do?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is only one thing you can do. Remove the cooler, clean the thermal compound, correctly install new thermal compound and reinstall the cooler. IF the cooler can "wiggle" after you clean and reinstall, the mounting system has failed an you have to replace the cooler.

No. There's only one worthwhile thing to do. Scrap the stock cooler altogether. Don't even try to bad-aid that old thing. Intel had several stock designs for different TDP levels back then and there's no mention of whether that's the original stock cooler or one that was laying around extra, that stands a good chance of not being correctly sized for the cpu. And the fan is how old and will last how much longer?

All the stock coolers Intel included for 'free' were next to useless noisemakers to start with, the best thing to do is start over with a better cooler (even most cheapo coolers are better than the stock coolers of back then).

Solution

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
You can get my cooler if you want, It costs $12 for me, comes with It's own thermal paste
Handles my 4670K clocked to 4.4 ghz at 70-80 degrees on full load(Mostly when playing cyberpunk, otherwise it will cap at 70)
It is called Dark freexer x90
Hope it helps

Jan 8, 2021

All the stock coolers Intel included for 'free' were next to useless noisemakers to start with, the best thing to do is start over with a better cooler (even most cheapo coolers are better than the stock coolers of back then).

Do you think it's a PSU problem too?

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
that lag when moving your mouse while on car is because your cpu is bottlenecking happens to me as well on cyberpunk
but i dont think so, stock fan cooler+ old thermal paste, I've seen 100-110 degrees

Jan 8, 2021
that lag when moving your mouse while on car is because your cpu is bottlenecking happens to me as well on cyberpunk
but i dont think so, stock fan cooler+ old thermal paste, I've seen 100-110 degrees

the lag also happens in Need For Speed 2012. Bottleneck calculator says that I have 4.94% bottleneck, it's likely low. I run GTA V on middle settings, i dont do overclocking