[SOLVED] CPU Temps spiking hard

Solution
Looks like it's jumping to 1.4 volts during spikes

Nothing wrong with 1.4v on the 6700k. Its considered safe. Even if it was closer to the unsafe side, it wouldnt be high enough to spike the temp to 90c.

Fan spinning smoothly and consistently on the heatsink? Can you use HWMonitor to monitor the CPU fan speeds?

Sometimes a failing fan can not spin at a consistent rpm leading to temp spikes.

edit: sorry I assumed air cooler. still the same for liquid cooling, and the radiator fans. or the pump itself.
So I just recently got a secondhand CPU from a friend (i7-6700k) because mine died. I just installed it and the temps are spiking really bad (90C+) while idle. I've reapplied the thermal paste (2 different pastes) and made sure the cooler is on right 2 times now.

Here is a screenshot of the spikes View: https://imgur.com/a/Cta7KOZ
If you are sure that cooling is adequate, other cause could be too high voltage. Check CPU voltage during those spikes.

Sep 14, 2021
If you are sure that cooling is adequate, other cause could be too high voltage. Check CPU voltage during those spikes.

Edit: Just looked at the file log when doing a benchmark. It spikes up to 1.475v often

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with 1.4v on the 6700k. Its considered safe. Even if it was closer to the unsafe side, it wouldnt be high enough to spike the temp to 90c.

Fan spinning smoothly and consistently on the heatsink? Can you use HWMonitor to monitor the CPU fan speeds?

Sometimes a failing fan can not spin at a consistent rpm leading to temp spikes.

edit: sorry I assumed air cooler. still the same for liquid cooling, and the radiator fans. or the pump itself.

Solution
Sep 14, 2021

Yeah fans seem good, no inconsistency that I see.
View: https://imgur.com/a/9hgNaWn
I know these are high RPMs but the CPU is literally melting :(

Last edited:
(FYI, there was no fan/sink that came with a 6700k)

WIthout knowing details such as what mainboard is being used, any fixed clocks, mainboard applied overclocks, MCE on/off, XMP profiles, etc., or for that matter what cooling solution is/was being used (i saw no reference to a cooler, only that these symptoms were 'at idle')

For some folks , 'idle' just means they have not launched any real applications yet, but, that does not mean WIndows has not directed a security scan, cloud file sync, and WIndows updates being downloaded/applied, and, possibly all at the same time...

Run HWmonitor, and, then CPU-Z/Bench/stress CPU, and, monitor/ report what clock speeds /temps/core voltage are sustained on all cores for a 10-15 minute run