Question CPU temps spiking when playing video

Jan 17, 2023
Hi, I've recently finished my first PC build, and the temps of my Ryzen 3600 spike while playing any kind of video. Watching a video in a web browser puts temps at 70-76C, but tabbing into a webpage with no video plummets temps back down to low 50s almost instantly. Low-demanding games increase CPU temps to above what they should be/what they are on my other, lower spec system. Even idling with wallpaper engine on increases CPU temps 10-15 degrees above what they are when wallpaper engine is closed. I believe all my drivers are up to date, I'm not sure what to try from here. For reference, the rest of my hardware is as follows:

Ryzen 5 3600
ASRock B550m Steel Legend mATX
Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3600 2x8gb (XMP enabled)
Radeon 6600 8gb
Fractal Pop Air Mini case

Thanks for any help

Hi, I've recently finished my first PC build, and the temps of my Ryzen 3600 spike while playing any kind of video. Watching a video in a web browser puts temps at 70-76C, but tabbing into a webpage with no video plummets temps back down to low 50s almost instantly. Low-demanding games increase CPU temps to above what they should be/what they are on my other, lower spec system. Even idling with wallpaper engine on increases CPU temps 10-15 degrees above what they are when wallpaper engine is closed. I believe all my drivers are up to date, I'm not sure what to try from here. For reference, the rest of my hardware is as follows:

Ryzen 5 3600
ASRock B550m Steel Legend mATX
Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3600 2x8gb (XMP enabled)
Radeon 6600 8gb
Fractal Pop Air Mini case

Thanks for any help
That's all pretty normal, higher load on CPU requires higher voltage and current to match the job so it heats up more. One remedy is to provide better cooling (CPU and case).
If left on auto many BIOS versions may push somewhat higher voltage than really needed. Usual remedy is to lower maximum voltage to CPU by setting negative voltage offset in BIOS. For those CPUs it's in range of -0.05 to -0.1V. You'll have to experiment with it as not all CPUs are same and it can affect performance and/or stability.
You may also want to check for autostart and background running programs as they also contribute to amount of CPU load.

Jan 17, 2023
76C for one tab of a web browser playing a video is normal? I keep track of my background apps and they shouldnt be an issue. The machine even overheated and force restarted itself twice within 5 minutes of two separate sessions of Forza Horizon 4. I have another system with a 2600x and 1660ti in it that doesnt get nearly as hot while performing the exact same tasks. I think upgrading the cooler is just treating the symptom rather than the actual problem.

76C for one tab of a web browser playing a video is normal? I keep track of my background apps and they shouldnt be an issue. The machine even overheated and force restarted itself twice within 5 minutes of two separate sessions of Forza Horizon 4. I have another system with a 2600x and 1660ti in it that doesnt get nearly as hot while performing the exact same tasks. I think upgrading the cooler is just treating the symptom rather than the actual problem.
I said that SPIKE is normal and it is although maybe not to that extent, There's also a "thing" with Ryzen,they do not report each core temperature and temps you see are probably just for one most loaded core.