CPU temps too high idle and under load? ( i7950)

juliusv555

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hello everyone, I recently downloaded coretemp and did some research on CPU temperatures. I noticed my temps were 50 degrees celcius when doing really nothing but surfing the internet, skyping and watching a few videos on youtube.

When I play Crysis 2 my cpu temp shoots up to about 80 degrees celcius.

When I play bf3 my cpu temps shoots up to 95 DEGREES CELCIUS.

I went to the computer store and the owner ( good friend of my dad) cleaned the PC with compressed air and re-applied the thermal paste. He also increased the CPU fan speed in my bios. it's around 2600 rpm

It's been 2 days but I'm still having very high temperatures! Now I know that a stock intel cooler isnt that good but shouldnt be my temps be alot lower?

CPU: i7 950 @ 3.06 GhZ
Motherboard: P6T Deluxe V2
Video card: AMD radeon 7770 hd series
Ram: 12 GB ddr3

Do any of you guys have tips on what I should do? I don't want to frie my cpu.

Solution
OP mentioned that he uses a stock Intel cooler.

I suspect case airflow issue, but it's difficult to pinpoint. Make sure that all your fans are pointing in such way that air is pulled in through the front and pushed out through the back, and clean them if needed.

For long-term solution, a $25 investment for a better aftermarket cooler is likely in order.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Which CPU cooler are you using?

OP mentioned that he uses a stock Intel cooler.

I suspect case airflow issue, but it's difficult to pinpoint. Make sure that all your fans are pointing in such way that air is pulled in through the front and pushed out through the back, and clean them if needed.

For long-term solution, a $25 investment for a better aftermarket cooler is likely in order.

Solution

juliusv555

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Im fine with buying a new cooler, but that doesn't explain why my temperatures are that extreme, right?

As for the airflow: how do i check this? i can post a pic of how my pc is positioned

6k5r.jpg

juliusv555

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Ok, I guess I could get that one instead of the more expensive one.

At what temperature drop am I looking at? I heard it's dangerous if your pc goes anything beyond 75 degrees celcius.

juliusv555

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
As I said in my first post, the computer store owner re-applied the thermal paste. I saw it with my own eyes.

I dont have any paste here, if i take it off now to look i wont be able to play the pc at all?