[SOLVED] cpu temps too high idle and under load?

natshill123

Commendable
May 8, 2016
my new pcs temps are concerning because at idle its around 50 degrees Celsius and when under load in a game e.g csgo the temps go up to high 70s to low 80s. Should I be concerned? cpu is I5 2320 and the cpu cooler is a SilverStone SST-NT09-115X. Also nothing is overclocked gpu temps are fine and all fans are positioned correctly for good enough inflow and outflow and im using artic cooling mx-2 thermal paste.
Thanks.

Solution
Those temps are not too hot, but they are a little on the warm side. What are the average load temps when you run a more CPU stressful application than CSGO? I would run a cinebench and watch your temps while the bench runs. Dont look at your peak temps, watch what the average is. If it is averaging above 80C, then try adjusting the fan curve for the cooler
Those temps are not too hot, but they are a little on the warm side. What are the average load temps when you run a more CPU stressful application than CSGO? I would run a cinebench and watch your temps while the bench runs. Dont look at your peak temps, watch what the average is. If it is averaging above 80C, then try adjusting the fan curve for the cooler

Solution

the cooler you are using is not very high end, but it should do the job good enough so that It wont go to 80 degrees.
the gen 2 cpus ran HOT AF compared to most gens (other than gen 5... I must admit I smelled burning on my i7 5960X)

but to help trouble shoot the problem, firstly, I want you to know that even tho these are hot, these are not cpu killing temps and your cpu is fine.
2ndly, try running your machine with the side panel off for best cooling and put it above your desk if possible.
3rdly, while it has its side panel off, try seeing if all fans ramp up, and check for any dust blocking heatsinks and airflows. if there is any dust, clean it using compressed air or just wooshing on it I guess. if not all fans spin, there is a problem and we can fix it. thanks in advance!