Question Cpu temps up and down while idle also unable to access bios for more than a few seconds

Jan 9, 2020
Hello all this is my first post to this forum.
so I’ve just built a new system I intend to use for work and gaming on the side here are the specs:
i9 9900ks
Asus rog Maximus hero (WiFi)
Corsair vengeance pro 3600mhz 32gb
Rtx Titan
Samsung 970 evo 2tb boot drive
Fractal design Celsius s36 aio

so a couple of things here I have not been able to get decent benchmarks since I first posted the machine the os is installed and up to date all of the most current And correct drivers for all the hardware is installed (I’ve checked this more times than I can count)

I have switched between two different air coolers and now this aio the cpu temps remain erratic at idle (jumping from 24c up to 44 and back down to 31) does not matter which cooler is installed

I am also unable to get get any good frame rates when playing games or running benchmarks I suspect because of the erratic cpu temps and not the gpu as it works great in another system

when I enter the bios screen I can view it for a few moments before the fan speeds in the system max out and the screen goes dark

I have tried everything I can think of or try from googling it myself so here I am any help or suggestions would be great thank you.

Last edited:
When you can get into BIOS use the AI tuning to start with XMP on.
Your setup should easily run to 5.0ghz, I'm showing stable OC at 5.1Ghz
It will also adjust fan speed profiles or use the aio software.
After awhile look at bios and then tweak all you want. (let Asus help)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Firstly, cpu temp jumps are perfectly normal at idle because its windows 10. Unlike previous versions, win10 is very rarely ever bored enough to stay at idle. It's constantly doing background stuff like security checks, AV checks, updates, etc. So you'll see cores bouncing from 32 upto 50's. Nothing to worry about at all.

Bios/load temps are a totally different matter, but kinda need to figure out if it really is the cpu at fault. You say screen goes blackin bios, but does temps show its goin nuts, or could it be related to the gpu?

Jan 9, 2020
Firstly, cpu temp jumps are perfectly normal at idle because its windows 10. Unlike previous versions, win10 is very rarely ever bored enough to stay at idle. It's constantly doing background stuff like security checks, AV checks, updates, etc. So you'll see cores bouncing from 32 upto 50's. Nothing to worry about at all.

Bios/load temps are a totally different matter, but kinda need to figure out if it really is the cpu at fault. You say screen goes blackin bios, but does temps show its goin nuts, or could it be related to the gpu?
The only reason I thought the cpu temps where unnatural is because I have another system with an intel chip and win10 and the margin isn’t nearly that high but I will stop treating this as issue thank you

the gpu doesn’t have any issues in my other two systems and it seems to run fine in this one with stable temps

Jan 9, 2020
Make sure to check that socket. That's a relatively brand new mobo so shouldn't have any corrosion whatsoever. If it looks like it's damaged, decision timd, might want to rma it.

I'd replace the battery.
Ok, gonna clean the battery terminal and replace the battery if that doesn’t fix the issues then I’ll start the rma process, would rather not deal with it if I don’t have too thank you.