May 24, 2023
Good afternoon guys,

I'm Marco, I'm new and I come from Italy.
I'm here to hope to have a clue about my new cpus laptop behavior.
Recently I bought an Alienware M17 R4 10870H/3080 laptop. I bought it used, but seems to be ok. The fact is that when I try to reset the pc I notice huge heat and a slow pc (imagine for wildly thermal throttling). I noticed that due to temperature were high and no way to use normally the pc. Obviously, bought new from the seller and never repasted. So I did it myself with the new CoolerMaster cryofuze violet, the only decent paste available in the store near my house.

After a clean and repaste, temperature ( but after at least 3 days from repasting) are very good, in idle stays normally on average 45-48,normal load average 60-65, heavy duty around 80-87 ( here is already quite hot, nearly summer). When I talk about average, is the "cpu package".

Taking a look in throttle stop, indeed you see the temperature that are quite like ok, but when you bring cores alone and when one or two have a nearly 100% usage, core temperature can spike reaching like 94°c for a second and spikes down to 59, the spikes up 77, spikes down 55, spikes up 88 and down to 65, all of this in a bunch of seconds. This means for me that the real core temperature isn't so high , but can reach these peaks due to usage. The fans are quiet and the laptop is fine cool.
With the previous laptop that have 10875h, temperature tends stay higher generally but no spikes like these ones.

Questions:

1) Can this be caused by a thick layer of thermal paste ( also is a very dense one, takes three days to settle) ?

2) Can it be caused may be by a past use in continue thermal throttling reaching high temperature (it may be damaged) ?

3) Can It be caused by a simply different firmware/bios that makes the CPU behave different than the previous one ?

4) Finally, is this behavior normal for a cpu?

Thank you for reading my post, give you my

Best Regards

Marco

Your laptop comes with several choices to set the cpu cooling. If you set it to full speed when gaming and then check the thermals on the cpu it may help. Amount of thermal paste dosn't matter, as long as it covers the cpu and doesn't bleed on to any electronic parts it will be fine.

May 24, 2023
Thant you for the response,

Yes I saw and I verified that Alienware did nothing about automatic managing of the fan. This is quite annoying for a normal client, that can't understand certains dynamics.
Well, in the other side, Alienware let you the completely free managing of the curve fan, of the thermal solutions and so on.
Plus I think, and here let you disprove me, that it's a quite different managing of the CPU from the nvram instructions. Literally I saw that this system let this CPU reach 100°C, that's configurated in TCC bios, until do thermal throttling. That's crazy, even for the thermals but that's good cause the processor it's arrived 16.427 CPU mark instead of 14.474 CPU mark score sheets. So it's good , but when you edit properly fan profile, If you do so you don't even see 100°c spikes., If you don't, CPU easily reach it's TJmax and get worst score plus overheat.
Free room for "modders like" client, nightmare for a normal dude who only wants to use the laptop without do nothing.

I'm happy with it but little struggle.

Noticed that undervolt do a great work when you had a lot of room like this.

Best Regards,

Marco

PS: Cryofuze violet by Cooler Master, not very good.
It's way overrated.