Cpu thermal paste application fail

isaking

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Hello!

This is my first pc what i put together by myself. At the end i had a 'little' trouble when i tried screw in the cpu cooler. I don't go into details so this is my question:
Should i repaste the whole thing or this paste is still do to job good enought?
https://imgur.com/a/waV93

Solution
if by "At the end i had a 'little' trouble when i tried screw in the cpu cooler." you mean getting the 2nd screw to catch threads so you can thread it down, before re-applying the thermal paste, take a pair of plyers and compress the spring around thescrew all the way, on both screws. Compress them fully 2 or 3 times - each time will shorten the uncompressed length of the spring slightly, but just enough to give you an edge in getting the screw to reach the threaded well

hope that helps

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Once you've applied thermal paste and removed the cooler, you've lost part of it's ability to make perfect contact.

While it'll still work and therefore technically "good enough", i'd clean it off and reapply for the best cooling scenario.

Stick it back on and see how it goes.
Ideally, you should reapply paste any time you introduce air to it (IE, removing the cooler like that). The reason this might be okay is because the paste is still relatively new so the paste might work the air bubbles out on its own.

Worst case, you have to redo the paste, which you were considering anyway.
Most likely, its going to be fine temp wise.

if by "At the end i had a 'little' trouble when i tried screw in the cpu cooler." you mean getting the 2nd screw to catch threads so you can thread it down, before re-applying the thermal paste, take a pair of plyers and compress the spring around thescrew all the way, on both screws. Compress them fully 2 or 3 times - each time will shorten the uncompressed length of the spring slightly, but just enough to give you an edge in getting the screw to reach the threaded well

hope that helps

Solution

isaking

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Yes, the 2nd screw messed up with me. I used a lot (really lot) of force to push down the spring enought to the screw got into the place.

Probably i just let it right now, but as fast as i can (6-7 days) buy some paste and do this thing right.

i work with springs so what i said above will help

these are fairly high tension springs, on much lower tension springs, a new 6" spring once compressed fully a few times, it's uncompressed length drops to approx 5.5"

these cooler springs will not drop anywhere near that much, maybe a 1/16" (1.5mm) at most