CPU thermal paste

SkiMask2003

Prominent
May 2, 2017
So my old CPU cooler fan stopped working and I got a new one, it already has thermal paste on it but after I removed the old one, the CPU has thermal paste on it, should I remove it ?? Or should I just leave it there, the fan already has thermal paste so Idk what to do

Solution
If the cooler came with pre-applied thermal paste it's fine to use. You won't need additional thermal paste for the time being. As others mentioned, be sure to clean the old stuff off the cpu really well. Toilet tissue may work but it's likely to disintegrate some and leave little bits of tissue all over. If you have a lint free cloth like a micro fiber towel or coffee filter that would be better. If the tissue leaves lint behind try and get it all off, tissue scraps don't transfer heat very well.

Zmanrocks

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
You want to remove the thermal paste from the CPU using toilet paper+a TINY bit of rubbing alcohol and rub it til its all gone and you will have to reapply new thermal paste to put back on the cpu cooler

If the cooler came with pre-applied thermal paste it's fine to use. You won't need additional thermal paste for the time being. As others mentioned, be sure to clean the old stuff off the cpu really well. Toilet tissue may work but it's likely to disintegrate some and leave little bits of tissue all over. If you have a lint free cloth like a micro fiber towel or coffee filter that would be better. If the tissue leaves lint behind try and get it all off, tissue scraps don't transfer heat very well.

Solution