CPU thermal paste?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

*Vanguard* wrote:

> "~misfit~" said in news:GIgkc.53$r17.21471@news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>>*Vanguard* wrote:

>>><snip>

>>>Zinc oxide is used as a filler in some low-grade thermal pastes. It
>>>is not toxic. Zinc oxide is that water insoluable white stuff you
>>>see painted on folks' noses to keep from getting sunburned.
>>>
>>>"Zinc oxide is ideal for the nose and ears while swimming"
>>>(http://www.healthcentral.com/mhc/top/001869.cfm).
>>>
>>>I don't remember reading any warnings about not touching the stuff.
>>>In fact, it usually needs to be reminded to users to NOT use their
>>>fingers to spread around the paste because of the oil on their
>>>fingers. However, I doubt any of the stuff is suitable for
>>>consumption (but touching it is okay).
>>>
>>>Maybe your friend was talking about a thermal adhesive because those
>>>do use solvents that are toxic (but not in the dosage to which you
>>>would be exposed for one heat sink, but maybe if you were on an
>>>assembly line). I mean, hell, SuperGlue is toxic but I don't see
>>>folks keeling over that accidentally got their fingers glued
>>>together. Acetone is toxic yet I occasionally dampen a paper towel
>>>with it to remove some glue, residue, or such, and my fingers are
>>>touching that Acetone wetted paper towel. Grain alcohol is toxic, but
>>>are you going to give up your beer? If so, I'll take it.
>>
>>I'm thinking now it was beryllium oxide.
>

> While beryllium is toxic
> (http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/BE/beryllium.html), it looks to be so
> when inhaled and not through the skin. It is probably toxic if
> ingested, too. Hey, maybe we could send some to the idiot that sued
> Sears because the lawn mower he bought from them didn't say it couldn't
> be hoisted up and used as a hedge trimmer. As long as it doesn't say
> that it couldn't be used for toothpaste, maybe we could get this idiot
> listed in the next Darwin Awards (http://www.darwinawards.com/). Ah,
> damn, looks like it's not toxic when ingested
> (http://www.espimetals.com/msds's/berylliumoxide.pdf). That article
> also says it is not toxic through the skin even on an abrasion. It is
> toxic for chronic exposure, like if your job was as an assembler that
> applies it everyday for voltage regulators or high-power transistors.
>
> Keep trying. Maybe there's a paste with a cyano compound in it. ;-)

Aside from its not being toxic, I don't think finely divided beryllium
oxide in a silicone like carrier would make a good heat conducting
paste. The main advantage of solid beryllium oxide is that it's a good
electrical insulator while being a good heat transfer medium. It is
very difficult to machine, and the dust is toxic when inhaled. As has
been mentioned, diamond is also a good electrical insulator while having
excellent heat transfer properties. Unfortumately it has to be in
crystaline form and costs accordingly.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:08:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote:

>I pulled a heat spreader off a Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz and while the
>spreader was held on around the edges with silicone rubber, the compound on
>the die itself was something else. Certainly not 'rubbery', more like
>dried-out ordinary thermal compound.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm wrong... it happens. Can't remember now which chip I
last "thought" I saw that on.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Most fans for that kind of computers have a clip that fits over two notches
on the holder for the CPU. These should be white plastic extensions and the
clip is a tinny piece of metal that slides up and down. You have to hook it
on one of the notches and push it down to hook it firmly on the other.

"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message news:<Xjekc.313431$oR5.194068@pd7tw3no>...

>Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.

Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On 1 May 2004 03:34:08 -0700, rantonrave@mail.com (R. Anton Rave)
wrote:

>"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message news:<Xjekc.313431$oR5.194068@pd7tw3no>...
>
>>Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.
>
>Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
>that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?

switcher ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Howdy!

"R. Anton Rave" <rantonrave@mail.com> wrote in message
> "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
>
> >Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.
>
> Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
> that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?

Electrical insulation.

That's almost a "D'oh!" innit?

RwP

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 1 May 2004 03:34:08 -0700, rantonrave@mail.com (R. Anton Rave) wrote:

>"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message news:<Xjekc.313431$oR5.194068@pd7tw3no>...
>
>>Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.
>
>Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
>that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?

They are not paranoid about temp like PC users are, and it allows
electrical isolation if/when needed.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

And you *know* this is silicon rubber? Or it just looks
like silicon rubber?

"R. Anton Rave" wrote:
> "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message news:<Xjekc.313431$oR5.194068@pd7tw3no>...
>> Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.
>
> Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
> that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I'm coming in late on this thread but try your local hobby shop which deals
with transistors. Thermal paste was used for heatsinks on power transistors
and amplifier ICs.

Richard Brooks.

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:<q40890h5rvehl3a6igi1af1fpq03dmcmpp@4ax.com>...
> On 1 May 2004 03:34:08 -0700, rantonrave@mail.com (R. Anton Rave) wrote:
>
> >"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message news:<Xjekc.313431$oR5.194068@pd7tw3no>...

>>>Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.
>>
>>Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
>>that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?
>
>They are not paranoid about temp like PC users are, and it allows
>electrical isolation if/when needed.

They're more paranoid than PC users are about actual temperature
issues, less than they are about trivial ones, and if electrical
isolation were the only reason for that silicone rubber, why is it
always found against a heatsink?

w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<409509B1.71B986E2@hotmail.com>...

>And you *know* this is silicon rubber? Or it just looks
>like silicon rubber?

Opaque, rubbery, and either grey, light blue, or red - definitely not
Kapton, mica, ceramic, aluminum oxide, or beryllium oxide. Every
catalog and application note mentioning the composition said it was
silicone rubber (Allied Electronics: Aavid brand IN-SIL-8 pads,
"Thermally Conductive Composite of Silicone Rubber and Fiberglass
Provides Better Thermal Conduction Than Mica and Grease"). If it's
not silicone rubber, what could it be? Teflon?

_?_ wrote in message news:<hok79054v6niesdqe5brqmr6votk0vfcfc@4ax.com>...
> On 1 May 2004 03:34:08 -0700, rantonrave@mail.com (R. Anton Rave)
> wrote:
>
> >"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message news:<Xjekc.313431$oR5.194068@pd7tw3no>...

>>>Silicone rubber is a stupid choice for thermal compound.

>>Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know
>>something that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?

>switcher ?

Switching mode power supply, like those in PCs. Astec and Delta are
the largest makers of switchers.

On 3 May 2004 00:38:35 -0700, rantonrave@mail.com (R. Anton Rave) wrote:

>kony <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:<q40890h5rvehl3a6igi1af1fpq03dmcmpp@4ax.com>...

>>>Then why does almost every switcher use it? Do you know something
>>>that the engineers of Astec and Delta don't?
>>
>>They are not paranoid about temp like PC users are, and it allows
>>electrical isolation if/when needed.
>
>They're more paranoid than PC users are about actual temperature
>issues, less than they are about trivial ones, and if electrical
>isolation were the only reason for that silicone rubber, why is it
>always found against a heatsink?

They are not paranoid, they consult specs and follow them, unlike PC users
who try to get the lowest CPU temp possible for no good reason while
ignoring CPU manufacturer spec or threshold for stability. I literally
meant "paranoid". A "PC" user may try for 30-50C temps but a power supply
designer has no such illusions that a regulator needs to stay under 50C.

alimeeabey

Commendable
Thermal paste has its use mainly in CPU and wafer industry. It is a high heat conductive paste that used between two objects for better heat conduction. Silicon wafer forms a layer of thermal oxide on their surface, these thermal oxide silicon wafers act as an insulation cover. That’s why the use of Thermal paste.

There are three main types of thermal paste; Metal based, Silicon based and Ceramic based. There are also thermal epoxies, these are basically the same thing as regular grease, but are actually used to permanently attach the heat sink. They are not recommended for most cases.

http://www.wafernet.com/thermal-oxide-silicon-wafers.htm